The Firearms Forum banner

Reloading

3K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  mikld 
#1 ·
I'm new to reloading, though I've been shooting for some time. I currently shoot a ruger American 30-06 compact rifle. Looking to find some of the better bullets to shoot, and approximate powider load for the utmost accruacy.

#3 ·
Welcome! I can second what Firpo asked.The ABC's of reloading and maybe one of the Lyman books like the 48th or 49th version are a must have.I don't have the new 50th version Lyman book but I expect it would serve you well.I bought and read 2 books a couple of years before I bought any reloading gear.Not sure if you've already done this or not.

#5 ·
A question like this always perplexes me. With 3 or 4 loading manuals and a common cartridge like the '06 a person has before them enough combinations to keep them busy for a few years seeking the best load. Each and every rifle is an entity unto itself. What works best in one can be dismal at best in another of the same make, model and cartridge. Only way to actually know is to try loads.

To choose a starting point one needs to first decide the intended use of the load and define parameters a bit better than "utmost accuracy". Utmost accuracy with a match bullet is probably going to differ from utmost accuracy with a good game bullet. Perhaps not at closer ranges but somewhere down range there will be a difference.

#6 ·
Are you going for game or target?

I started reloading a little over a year ago. My second batch was 30-06. I was looking for a good long distance round and not necessarily a hunting round. After much research went with 168 gr.

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-168-gr-A-MAX/

Hornady manual and ladder test for load.

#7 ·
Welcome aboard! It seems that your question opened up a can of worms!:D As well it should! Read the post made so for, and understand them. They have all given you some good advice! Tell us more about what your intended loads will be used for.

#8 ·
Welcome to the wonderful, oft confusing and frustrating world of reloading!

Can't add much to the above suggestions/questions, but once you get a manual(s) find a load in the manual(s) before you buy components...

The ABCs and Lyman books are good starter texts, as the Lyman manual has a very good "How To" section.

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...

#11 ·
I'd guess he's either busy and will get back later as many often do. Or, he expected a load with X powder, Y bullet and Z case and primer and didn't get it. Who can answer it? Best any can say is what works in their rifle.

#12 ·
I'm going to assume the Op is looking for Target shooting accuracy. With that said I would look at Hornady Amax or ELD-M, Sierra Matchkings, Berger Match Hybrids or Lapua Scenars. One or more of these should get you as accurate as possible.
If you are looking for a hunting bullet or the cheapest bullet you can find, ignore everything I typed above

#14 ·
Looks like another request for specific reloading data. I think we have all seen this movie many times over. Won't be the last time. I hope this new reloader doesn't take a powder charge from the internet or some chat room - but I suspect this will happen.

I hope he (or she) comes back. I'd like to know what they have in mind, if it's for shooting paper or game. I'm curious.

#15 ·
Looks like another request for specific reloading data. I think we have all seen this movie many times over. Won't be the last time. I hope this new reloader doesn't take a powder charge from the internet or some chat room - but I suspect this will happen.
He was also asking for bullet recommendations. My experience is that cheap bullets never outshoot Match grade bullets, at least not in any of my rifles. Yet so many shooters think they can buy the cheapest stuff and get the best results.

#16 ·
Better bullet's? In who's opinion? For hunting I use toward heavy for caliber bullet's, cup and core bullet's. For varmint and predator's it's a light for caliber pushed as fast as I can push it. To just stroke my ego I load Sierra Match Kings. You will find a lot of people that shoot only some kind of premium bullet, partitions are a big favorite. If you choose your bullet correctly, you'll find that whatever the most expensive premium bullet will do, a cup and core has been doing for over a hundred years, if chosen right for the cartridge your using and the game your hunting!

#20 ·
Better bullet's? In who's opinion?.......

.........If you choose your bullet correctly, you'll find that whatever the most expensive premium bullet will do, a cup and core has been doing for over a hundred years, if chosen right for the cartridge your using and the game your hunting!
And if you look a little farther you'll learn that every animal on the face of the earth has been taken with a cast bullet and/or patched round ball for a lot longer than 100 years. Probably close to about 600 years by now.

#17 ·
First off, I tell every new reloader that will listen to pay very little (no) attention to any forum member, range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads web site, or gun shop guru when it comes to load data. It's not uncommon for a person to want an exact bit of info, right now in this time of instant information.

When I got my Garand I picked up some 147 gr FMJ pulls, as I wanted to "get used to" reloading for my new gun. Yep, accuracy sucked, and I soon went to Hornady A-Max bullets and Nosler, and Sierra bullets and got a lot better results. Cost more, but got more accuracy...

But I too, hope he/she returns...

#18 ·
Not being persnickety - but it sounds like those bullets were for the 7.62 NATO M-80. They are only 3/10ths grains lighter than the M2 bullet, but the crimp groove location is wrong for the .30-06. The M80 and the M2 bullets are often confused. You are right - better bullets do cost more money. But if you use the right bullet and the CORRECT powder for the proper M2 load - you can expect some pretty decent accuracy from that Garand.

#19 ·
Welcome aboard you should be able to find the ABC of reloading online in a pdf format to start. I would give it to you the file is to large for this site. second lyman or lee is a good start . Look powder manufacturers have web sites like Hodgdon who is winchester ,and IMR powders group. Have fun and be safe. by the way it can be as addicting as shooting.

Reactions: carver
#24 · (Edited)
It's been my experience that newbies run out and buy some bullets, or powder. Then when they start looking in the manuals, they can't find anything for that bullet, or that powder. Now they are on the internet trying to find someone that can point them to a load with what they have. Why not just buy the manual, find a load in them that might suit your purpose, go buy the bullets, and powder listed, and have a happy reloading experience.

#25 ·
Or ask to borrow one at the store.

OP, please buy a few manuals but for those that have done as Carver points out, my LGS has several manuals available for reference in the store, the local Cabelas does the same. It is by no means a substitute for having your own manual, but it does save the return to the store because you intended to pick up 800X and bought 700X.

#26 ·
Or ask to borrow one at the store.

OP, please buy a few manuals but for those that have done as Carver points out, my LGS has several manuals available for reference in the store, the local Cabelas does the same. It is by no means a substitute for having your own manual, but it does save the return to the store because you intended to pick up 800X and bought 700X.
As long as I've been reloading, I'll still pick up a manual in the store, when in doubt.

#28 ·
Welcome. What is the intended purpose? Target? Deer? Varmints? Bullet recommendations will vary depending on your intended use.
My intended purpose in reloading is mainly accuracy for long range deer hunting, I hunt mostly open fields, and factory 150 grain loads just aren't holding enough of a group to feel comfortable stretching my rifle out further than 200 yards.

#29 ·

I hope he (or she) comes back. I'd like to know what they have in mind, if it's for shooting paper or game. I'm curious.
Sorry for the late replies, got tied up with work for a few days not much down time. My main purpose in reloading hand loads are for shooting accurately at distance, witch factory loads have failed to do so for me so far. The suggestions I've read above have been extremely informing and of the utmost help. Hopefully I hear more variety of powder charge and bullet combinations to gain a strong starting ground. I do greatly appriciate all of the information you guys have provided me, as I venture into my relpadding future I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on the results.

#31 ·
Wayne - that 165 grain Sierra Game King bullet and the IMR-4064 is a great place to start for long range shooting. You need to work up a load for your rifle with this. I suggest that you start by gathering those components (primers, powder and bullets).

Another factor you may want to consider is the brass cases. Seeing as how you are looking for the most accurate loads for long range shooting, the best way I can think of is to start with cases that are of the same lot (or manufacturer's batch), then trim and process them to the same exact length. The reason for this is that brass cases of different makes will vary in construction and exact interior dimensions. This will cause slight differences in the pressure on firing - and this difference will cause shot-to-shot changes in velocity.

It doesn't make sense to precisely measure and weigh your powder - then load up different brands or makes of cases - and expect them to all deliver uniform performance. For long range shooting accuracy, the key is total uniformity in every detail.

#32 ·
I am a Hornady fan, been one close to 50yrs now. But for stroking my ego, nothing like a Sierra Match King. I did try Serria bullet's for hunting years ago, in a 7mm Mag and a 7x57. Used the 140gr bullet and it was like throwing hand granades at animals, really explosive! I used a lot of 22 cal Sierra bullet's back then though. Sierra bullet's were super accurate! In my 308 my bullet for years was the 165gr Hornady interlock. In the 30-06, I don't shoot much with it but if I were to, my choice would be a 180gr bullet. It handles the 180gr a bit better than the 308.

I like my Nosler manual, it tells you what percentage of the case is filled with different powder's. I like what ever shoot's best from about 85% full and up but never a compressed load. If your having to compress the load, I though is the powder is actually to slow for the rifle. By thee same token, I don't care for loads below about 80% either, in my view the powder is to fast. Now everything changes when loading cast but your not asking about that. As for primer's, in a standard cartridge like 308, 30-06, standard large rifle primer's work well. And the brand can make a difference in accuracy. On the down side there, to try out different primer's you need to get 100 at a time. When I shot magnums, I always used magnum primers but I doubt they were necessary. Bare in mind that switching primer's while it may improve accuracy, won't improve it that much! And, because one primer works in one cartridge doesn't mean it will in another. At this point in your life, I would suggest you don't try to trim fraction's of an inch from your group. The one thing I've always found important is the bedding of the rifle. If the rifle shoot's relatively badly, check the bedding and fix it.

#34 ·
It's been my experience that newbies run out and buy some bullets, or powder. Then when they start looking in the manuals, they can't find anything for that bullet, or that powder. Now they are on the internet trying to find someone that can point them to a load with what they have. Why not just buy the manual, find a load in them that might suit your purpose, go buy the bullets, and powder listed, and have a happy reloading experience.
Myles, you thinking way too much like a logical person here.;)

#35 ·
I have no idea why but I had a suspicion you'd gotten tied up with something. Glad ya checked back in and clarified your goal. Now there's something to work with. jw and Don gave you good places to start. I'd second a 165 gr. Sierra Game King for the bullet. I am not an '06 fan, don't take that to mean I don't respect it, I do, immensely, it simply does not interest me. Anyway, there's a pile of good powders out there for it and if, as Don mentioned, the rifle is all there, any of several should work well.

You mentioned you're loading with a relative. Surely he has some manuals, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.