The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 Rem. 581 I inherited from my dad. I haven't fired it yet. Today I put 3 rounds in the 5 and 10 round magazines to see how the rifle cycles the ammo. Initially, the rounds were fed too high (the bullet tip hit the barrel above the chamber. ) using both the 5 and 10 round magazines. I removed the bullets and replaced them in the magazines...duplicating the same results.

After a futile attempt to load the chamber, a "U" shaped piece of stamped metal (set at 90 degree angles) fell out of the chamber and thru the opening where the magazines attach in the walnut stock. The metal piece is .5" high, .5" across and has notches on it. The piece is smooth with bluing.

I have the original owners manual and this metal piece is not shown is the parts diagram.

The piece does not seem to be damaged. How do you suggest I replace this part into the rifle again?

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
42,744 Posts
Bob, a picture of the thing that fell out would be a tremendous help to the folks that might know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to NUMRICH, the part that fell out of my Rem. 581 is called a "magazine shoe." How do I place the magazine shoe in the rifle? I looked online but could not find any useful information. I have enclosed a picture of the exact part that fell out.

Peace,
Robert

84250.jpg

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,372 Posts
I doubt that it belongs in the gun; no diagram I can find shows a part anything like that in a 581 rifle. I found an assembly/disassembly video on YouTube you can watch. The disassembly starts around 5 minutes into the hour long video.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt that it belongs in the gun; no diagram I can find shows a part anything like that in a 581 rifle. I found an assembly/disassembly video on YouTube you can watch. The disassembly starts around 5 minutes into the hour long video.
I have the original owner's manual from 1970 (with the sectional view). You are correct; the magazine shoe is not in the owner's manual. I am unable to feed any ammo from the magazine to the chamber.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,372 Posts
I have the original owner's manual from 1970 (with the sectional view). You are correct; the magazine shoe is not in the owner's manual. I am unable to feed any ammo from the magazine to the chamber.
Feeding issues are usually caused by the magazine, and they can often be fixed by adjusting the width between the lips of the magazine. In your case, the cartridge is exiting the magazine pointing too high; that calls for reducing the width of the magazine lips toward the front of the magazine, which will delay the rise of the cartridge on the forward stroke of the bolt assembly. This takes a lot of trial and error, so be patient. Make small adjustments, and test after each one. Just like the Carpenters' rule, measure twice, cut once. If you get on the wrong side of that, you'll ruin the gun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Numrich shows that the piece you photographed does indeed go in the 581 but it is listed in the parts list under 'Not Illustrated'. I'll see if I can figure out where the little dickens fits...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Feeding issues are usually caused by the magazine, and they can often be fixed by adjusting the width between the lips of the magazine. In your case, the cartridge is exiting the magazine pointing too high; that calls for reducing the width of the magazine lips toward the front of the magazine, which will delay the rise of the cartridge on the forward stroke of the bolt assembly. This takes a lot of trial and error, so be patient. Make small adjustments, and test after each one. Just like the Carpenters' rule, measure twice, cut once. If you get on the wrong side of that, you'll ruin the gun.
What about the piece that fell out of the gun, the "magazine shoe?" This piece may be the key to feeding the rifle correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob, a picture of the thing that fell out would be a tremendous help to the folks that might know.
I've enclosed a pic of the part; I discovered it on the NUMRICH parts for the Remington 581 rimfire rifle. The part is called a "magazine shoe."

Attachments

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
The link below shoes a picture of the magazine shoe attached to a magazine on the second thumbnail, hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The link below shoes a picture of the magazine shoe attached to a magazine on the second thumbnail, hope this helps.

After studying the pictures, the magazine shoe was created to create a snug fit for the magazine in the stock. The magazine was poorly designed; when you secure it to the stock, the magazine loosely fits in the stock.

Surprisingly, I was able to load the magazine and cycle the bullets in/out of the chamber...maybe playing around with the magazine aligned it with the chamber.

In the future I will probably purchase an aftermarket 5 rd magazine.

Thank you for your help.

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
Glad it was helpful, I don't know if this video can give you a work around, regardless, good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad it was helpful, I don't know if this video can give you a work around, regardless, good luck.
Surprisingly, after messing around with the 5 rd magazine, it actually worked. It seems that Remington over engineered the bolt, but refused to make a higher quality magazine. After loading/unloading the 10 rd magazine, it broke under normal circumstances. I hear Trekker makes a higher quality magazine...I might go this route. Thanks for the help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts