Rem 597 TVP, Please Help!!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by SWirsty, Apr 17, 2009.

1. SWirsty

SWirsty New Member

Hello all, I am a new member to this forum and so far i am very impressed with everyones knowledge.

My questions are.

I have recently purchased a Remington 597 TVP and I am haveing a hard time finding any reviews or information. Im looking to see if anyone has had luck with a particular load or had any problems with the rifle itself as it is new for 2008 in this style.

I start shooting benchrest with it in May. Ive had this rifle for about 6 mo. and have yet to shoot it. I have Nikon 3 x 9 mounted. Should I take any special care breaking in the barrel. I have heard many mixed reviewsas far as this procedure goes. I would like to shoot Federal load 711B....if i can find any...which leads to my next question.(we can only shoot a load that is under $5.00 per 50 rounds.)

Does anyone know where i can get Federal 711B without being on backorder?? I prefer the older stuff in the White and Blue box. Thats getting very hard to find. I will settle for any of the new stuff if anyone have some to spare.

Thanks for taking your time to read my post and answer any one of my questions.

Keep it up!

2. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Welcome Swirsty, I have two 597 one in long rifle and a 22 MG. I have not heard of breacking in a 22 barrel but you can check your owners manual. I say shoot it and have fun!!! Thats a good choice on the scope, the only problem I ever had with either gun was some minor jaming on my 22 long rifle. A frind of mine broke it down tuned it up and no more problem. Until I shoot cheap ammo,then it might jam every once in a while. Funny thing fedreal is one of the brands that didnt cycle well. This gun liked Winchester and Remmington gold bullets better CCI also feed well. After heavy use we would (very carefuly!! ) spray carb cleaner in all the movng parts we could hit. then you clean like hell and oil. You should probably find a real gun cleaning product. Have Fun.

3. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 Member

I've had my 597 TVP in .22LR for three years now. I also have a heavy barrel 597 in .22 WMR to which I've added the Evolution stock. I keep both dinner plate clean and well lubricated. The only issue I've ever had were with some .22LR rounds. The CCI MiniMags fire every time. I've had a couple of failure to feed and failure to extract episodes with Winchester SuperX and Federal bulk. I've never had any success getting reliable firing sequences with Remington Goldens. None of my rimfires like Remington so I don't even buy the stuff any more. All of my pistols and rifles happily go through MiniMags so that has become my ammo of choice (40 grain, solid nose). As for breaking it in? I just took it out of the box, cleaned it, scoped it, sighted it in slowly and now happily shoot quarter size groups at 25 yards; half dollar size at 50 yards, all from benchrest. This year I intend to see what I can do at 100 yards. The only advice I'd offer has to do with the springs; I just run the Allen screws flush to the block. I'm advised from other forums that overtightening the screws is probably the main cause of any failure to extract and stovepipe issues. My 597s and I have a lot of fun together and I highly recommend them.

4. SWirsty

SWirsty New Member

Thanks for everyones help. It doesnt seem like there are to many people out there to review this gun. The benchrest class im shooting has limited rules:

American Made Gun
    American Made Ammo
    Ammo must be less that $5.00/50
    Rifle Must not Blue book at over $500 @ 90%

Im looking to shoot under a quarter sized groups at 50 yrds. any help would be great. Im currently doing a trigger job to reduce the heavy trigger pull.

Any other Suggestions?

Thanks Everyone!:)