The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My great grandfathers (browning designed) Remington 11 auto shotgun has had slugs shot out of it and will not hold a pattern. I was wondering where to go to buy replacements. Thanks

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It's been out of production a long time, Daric, so parts are going to be iffy. There is a company the specializes in old gun parts. It used to be called Numrich Arms, then it became Gun Parts Corp, then it became Numrich again; I think it is still Numrich, but I'm not sure. Some Googling should find out.

Otherwise, I only have two things to suggest:

Check the gun auction websites regularly. There are only 2-3 big ones, and a Google search will find them easily. (We're not allowed to name them here - long story.)

FN-Browning in Belgium made the same gun for many, many years. I doubt parts are drop-in interchangeable (Belgium is metric and we're not, for one thing) but you might talk to a gunsmith and see if he could do anything with a Browning barrel. You might also want to research that on the internet first, but you need a gunsmith who is willing to tackle it.

(Savage made this same design too, but they seem to be scarcer than the Remingtons.)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I dont understand why shooting slugs would effect the patterning ability of the barrel. Slugs are afterall very soft lead, and should not damage the steel used to make the barrel.

My wager here is you simply need to have the barrel reamed at the forcing cone. Back in the day, shotguns were made with very short forcing cones because the shotshells of the day did not utilize shot cups, but rather wads and cards and they needed the bore to start right ahead of the shell to keep the shot column and wads intact from spreading apart and throwing your pattern off. Todays shot cups do not require such a short forcing cone because they can actually peel the petals back on the cups just as they clear the hull mouth and disperse your shot causing the pattern to throw wildly.

Might also check the choke for concentricity too. If it is dinged or out of round that will also toss the pattern off.

The only thing that would negate everything i posted above is if the barrel is rifled for sabot slug use.. Then it will never pattern well, and you need a new smoothbore with a choke.. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,929 Posts
It's been out of production a long time, Daric, so parts are going to be iffy. There is a company the specializes in old gun parts. It used to be called Numrich Arms, then it became Gun Parts Corp, then it became Numrich again; I think it is still Numrich, but I'm not sure. Some Googling should find out.

Otherwise, I only have two things to suggest:

Check the gun auction websites regularly. There are only 2-3 big ones, and a Google search will find them easily. (We're not allowed to name them here - long story.)

FN-Browning in Belgium made the same gun for many, many years. I doubt parts are drop-in interchangeable (Belgium is metric and we're not, for one thing) but you might talk to a gunsmith and see if he could do anything with a Browning barrel. You might also want to research that on the internet first, but you need a gunsmith who is willing to tackle it.

(Savage made this same design too, but they seem to be scarcer than the Remingtons.)
It is still around I use them all the time.
However they do not have a barrel for the model 11.
You can try Jack First they have to be called to see what they have in stock.
There # is 605-343-9544.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts