The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wound'nt chamber round all the way.Tried 3 different factory rds...1 chambers then next won't,etc....Nice and clean,well lubed(Lucas gun oil).I told my buddy to give it to his son,but he wants to know why it won't work...It's a .308

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
3 things cause this. Easiest is the gas system is not adjusted properly for the load your shooting so its short cycling and loosing momentum during the cambering process. Next is a broken head lock lever. If its broken the bolt head can go out of time and start to rotate and close before its fully in the breech. Lastly the bolt may be starting to stick at the rear of its travel. the bolt can over rotate and start to bite into the receiver. Eventually the bolt will lock open and never cycle again. If it sticks the bolt will loose momentum to load. if thats the case, its time to retire it. Repairing it way out costs the value of the gun.
One issue which is not a gun problem is a soft shoulder can cause all sorts of problem I dont personally know your shooting style but I have seen that action not run properly with some people that are recoil sensitive. Also the action is know to hate Rem corelocks.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THX,will check those items out...but this is trying to chamber without firing first.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The gas system in a Rem. 742 is not adjustable , and what in hell is a head lock lever ? Remove the barrel , or better yet have a gunsmith familiar with Rem. autos clean it for you . I charge $50.00 to do a thorough disassembly and cleaning . These rifles are real fussy about having a squeaky clean and polished chamber . 90% of the time , if they don't run well it's a dirty chamber or a magazine that needs tuning ! Really old ones can be worn out , the bolt cam pins and raceway can wear and over rotate the bolt cracking the receiver or leaving chatter marks on the action bar raceways , which retards bolt thrust . I work on them , but I wouldn't own one . I won't even buy and sell them or take them in trade .

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We'll take it apart and clean it so it looks brand new....yep mag sucks-even the brand new one...then I'll talk him into giving it to son:).He called a local gunsmith and he won't touch it-says he had his fill of trying to keep a bad design going.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Head lock lever (sorry bolt latch) prevents the bolt head from rotating before its fully inserted into the chamber. If its broke, the head will rotate as soon as it has any friction against it. Check yourself

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think you are refering to the disconnector , which has nothing to do with bolt lockup . The bolt can't go into battery without rotating , the recoil spring holds it in place till the trigger is pulled . Then the disconnector falls and allows the action to cycle reseting the trigger . The violent bolt thrust of the bufferless 742 is what wears them out . I've never understood how Remington redesigned this platform three times and still havent incorporated a buffer of some type . I service quite a few of these each year and am quite familiar with them . Familiar enough to know the gas system isn't adjustable ! ;)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Melt it with a torch and buy a Bolt action...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts