The Firearms Forum banner

Remington 1100 Malfunction

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  paul yakupzack 
#1 ·
BlackGun
*TFF Staff*
(3/22/02 6:41:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Malfunctioning Rem. 1100
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the case of trouble! I have a Remington 1100 that has been in storage for 12 years. The Mag spring feels good. You load the mag up, charge the handle and the bolt locks back!. You release the bolt, charging the chamber with a new round. You fire the first round. The handle, again locks back and will not recharge a new round? Help! Please
I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(3/23/02 7:32:39 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Malfunctioning Rem. 1100
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would guess the carrier spring is dirty or broken. This is what tells it , it`s empty and lock back on the final shot. Thats my guess, when you say it doesn`t feed the next round. Regards LTS
T.F.F.

gun runner john
*TFF Staff*
(3/23/02 9:16:43 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Malfunctioning Rem. 1100
To start, it's time for a detail strip and a good cleaning and lube. If it still malfunctions, at least you'll be troubleshooting a clean gun, and it's likely to solve the problem.

AntiqueDr
*TFF Senior Staff*
(3/23/02 1:01:37 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Malfunctioning Rem. 1100
Is the bolt locking back with the rest of the shells inside the magazine, or does a shell come from the magazine onto the carrier?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
www.apaxenterprises.com
Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

BlackGun
*TFF Staff*
(3/23/02 3:12:08 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del 1100
a shell come from the magazine onto the carrier but the bolt locks back. The bolt will not close forcing the new shell into the chamber

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(3/23/02 4:40:22 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: 1100
Hey! be a little more specific.....back it up to the phone...so`s I can hear it.

Does the carrier lift the shell, or does it just lay down inside the receiver...horizonal to the bolt. LTS
T.F.F.

BlackGun
*TFF Staff*
(3/23/02 4:44:32 pm)
it just lay down inside the receiver...horizonal to the bolt. .
I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 3/23/02 6:37:51 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(3/23/02 7:01:37 pm)
Carrier spring is either dirty,weak, or broken. Stored, it could have rusted up. That also controls the bolt lock...I haven`t one around to look at.....all mine are underwater a the camp. LTS
T.F.F.

BlackGun
*TFF Staff*
(3/23/02 7:07:33 pm)
UNDERWATER?????????Is that the carrier latch spring, or the carrier release spring? What does a new carrier release/latch spring run, Mike?

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 3/23/02 7:27:24 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
*TFF Senior Staff*
(3/23/02 8:05:13 pm)
I would replace both, while your doing the job. LTS
T.F.F.

AntiqueDr
*TFF Senior Staff*
(3/24/02 8:43:46 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: 1100
Absolutely. Replace both, replace the O-ring, detail strip/clean, ream gas ports.

www.apaxenterprises.com

whitebear74
(4/9/02 9:08:00 pm)
A lot of guys I shoot trap with use 1100s and 11-87s and they're always friggin up. The stamped trigger group parts break, o rings bugger up et al ,etc..... meanwhile my ancient crude , rude and not so stylish recoil operated Belgie Browning just keeps on ka - chunking along. Peddle the scrap , get a real shotgun.

AntiqueDr
*TFF Senior Staff*
(4/9/02 11:20:56 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: 1100
This particular malfunction can be caused by many things, most often a bent carrier latch. Other possible causes include a mistimed interceptor latch, jammed carrier release button, bent carrier and various spring malfunctions. A weak, rusted or kinked magazine spring can also cause the problem.

This particular shotgun had a bent carrier which prevented the shell from contacting the carrier latch with enough force to release the carrier tab.

www.apaxenterprises.com

See less See more
#2 ·
i have thoroughly disassembled and cleaned 12 ga 1100. it has a 14.25 inch action spring, i stretched it to 15.5in. it now works well with high brass loads and steel shot factory loads. it sometimes has a weak hammer fall and the primer is only slightly dented or not at all. I cycle the action and it shoots fine. i noticed that there is a plastic insert on rear of the bolt that has some marring on it. could this be the problem ?? could it be that the weak acton spring is not closing the bolt fully thereby not allowing the hammer to reach the primer properly??? i would appreciate any suggestions for repairing this problem. you can call 985-232-6929 if you prefer, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.