Remington 1858 Navy Revolver.

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Brian Uprichard, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Brian Uprichard

Brian Uprichard Member

Hi,
    I'm a recently new member of this excellent forum living in the UK. I presently shoot reproduction Remington 1858 muzzle loading revolvers and through this developed a desire to own and possibly shoot an original example of these lovely old revolvers.
    Original examples of these models are obviously more expensive here in the UK than in the US, but I recently acquired this Remington New Model Navy in useable condition and at an affordable cost. The Serial Number is 30262 and I wondered if anybody could advise what the significance of the 'MB' marking might be on the side of the trigger guard. I have stripped and inspected the revolver which seems to be in a safe condition to shoot with light black powder loads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Brian

Kweeksdraw and howlnmad like this.
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Wow!! What a revolver Brian!! I can't tell you a thing about the stamp but, congrats on a fine Remington and welcome to the forum.

3. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Welcome from Canada.
    GOOD looking revolver.

4. SBSATS

SBSATS Member

A link to a little info on your weapon Brian. My research shows them to sell for between $2000 and $4000
    I could find no specific data on the markings, but suspect that it might possibly be a previous owner's initials based on the uneven stamping depth between the two letters. If so if you can trace the serial number, it may increase or decrease the value of that piece depending upon wither or not you could identify who that owner was and if they had any significant historical impact or not.
    Either way it is a spectacular piece, and my birthday is coming up soon!! No just kidding Mate, don't get nervous, lol. Depending on what diameter ball you shoot however... I might be able to send you a birthday present, in the form of a roundball mold. All of my BP pistols were stolen some years ago and the equipment I still have for them is now useless to me. I know that I have a .451 mold for the 44 cal but not positive about a 36 cal mold, which I assume yours is. But if so and I can find it, it's yours if you want it. Happy Birthday. I would much rather it be used and appreciated than just sitting in a box in my loading room. PM me and I'll see if I can find it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1858

5. Brian Uprichard

Brian Uprichard Member

Thanks for the reply and for taking the time to research for any additional information which is much appreciated. I have had a response from another forum which seems to date the revolver to March 1865, but no further information regarding the MB stamping to the side of the frame. I have seen several examples of the Remington Navy model with a single B stamped in the same place, so maybe a previous owner with the initial MB added the M to personalise the revolver. Although the revolver is .36 calibre, I have no idea of the exact size of the ball used on these original examples as I only ever used modern .375 swaged balls in my reproduction Uberti Colt 1851 Navy. The Remington is certainly in good enough condition to shoot with light black powder loads, but whether it's worth putting it on my Firearms Certificate to do so is another matter. I will certainly get back to you regarding your kind offer of the bullet mould once I have made up my mind whether to shoot the gun or just keep it as a nice thing to have alongside my modern reproduction revolvers.
    Brian

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  6. SBSATS

SBSATS Member

I would suspect that Uberti built their replicas on the same spects as the original, so. 375. should work in both.