The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me if I am making a mistake. I have a Remington .35 cal. Gamemaster model 760 pump, serial number of 55018. It now has iron sights. I am thinking of putting a scope on it, but will not if I am going to be destroying the value of the gun by doing so. I have no idea of it's worth right now. Will you help?

·
Registered
18,143 Posts
If the gun is factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts (look at the top of the receiver - there should be four little bitty screws), then scoping it won't hurt anything.

If you have to have it drilled and tapped, that would put a dent in any collector value. But, really, is there a collector market for 760s?

But I'm pretty sure it's gonna be factory drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It should be drilled an dtapped for scope mounts so if it is you will not destroy any value. Where you do destroy or decrease value is to drill and tap a firearm that was never factory drilled and tapped. Military mausers are aprime example as are otehr military actions. Same with SOME Savage 99s.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If it was made after 1960 it's factory drilled and tapped for a scope.

The serial number doesn't date Remington rifles, there's a few letters stamped in the barrel near the left side of the receiver that tell the date.

Link to Remington date codes;
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Based on the YY dated code on your barrel it was made in 1952. That makes it a first year of production for that model.

·
Registered
108 Posts
760s weren't factory tapped till 1955 . If you have an unmolested first year production , 760 in .35 Rem. , don't mess it up ! There is indeed collector interest in 760s ! If it's unmolested , then it's a mattter of condition that will determine collector value . I had a customer recently bring me a YY code 760 with 100% bluing and 99% wood , it would have been a collector gun , if it hadn't had 8 holes drilled and tapped for different scope mounts . Four holes for a Pachmayer side/pivot mount , and four more for a Weaver # 62 base . Bummer ! It's still a nice rifle though .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.