The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a Rem 513T Matchmaster. It is a huge gun. Giant wood stock, bull barrel, 5 round detachable magazine, it weighs more than my Garand! I was told it was some kind of competition target gun.

Does anyone have any experience or info to share about this rifle?

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Bumblebee - That IS one heck of a target rifle. I used to shoot those for small bore military competition. They are incredible rifles. Short story - our Rifle Team was invited to shoot an indoor small bore Match, and we were almost the first people to arrive. There were scoped rifles in the rack. Our team fired our first non-military or Police Match that day. We did so well with those 513-T rifles that many of the compeditors packed up half way through, and they were using scopes while we just had the open sights.

If you ever decide to get rid of that rifle, PM me. Of course we will follow forum and all other applicable rules. If you keep it, shoot it and enjoy it. They really are great rifles. Only problem with them is if you miss - it ain't the rifle...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bumblebee - That IS one heck of a target rifle. I used to shoot those for small bore military competition. They are incredible rifles. Short story - our Rifle Team was invited to shoot an indoor small bore Match, and we were almost the first people to arrive. There were scoped rifles in the rack. Our team fired our first non-military or Police Match that day. We did so well with those 513-T rifles that many of the compeditors packed up half way through, and they were using scopes while we just had the open sights.

If you ever decide to get rid of that rifle, PM me. Of course we will follow forum and all other applicable rules. If you keep it, shoot it and enjoy it. They really are great rifles. Only problem with them is if you miss - it ain't the rifle...

Thanks for the info! Here is a couple of pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Bumblebee - THAT is one beauty of a 513-T. My complements to whom ever you inherited it from. They obviously knew how to properly care for and maintain fine equipment. That is also usually a mark of a person of personal dignity.

Those rifles were usually issued with - as I recall - Palma/Olympic click adjustable peep sights and 10 round mags. Ours were equipt with standard issue web slings, and those are incrediuble shooting aids if you know how to properly use them. Believe it or not our practice and Match ammo was Federal brand standard velocity. Our range was an indoor 25 foot, and our target's bullseye was the diameter of a .22. Anything outside the 9 ring cost us a quarter for the Team Beer Kitty. Our Coach - a former Grand Master - also had us practice trigger squeeze with a dime balanced on edge on the front sight from the prone position.

Well, you asked if any of us had experiance shooting these. Jim

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Mother tells me that my Dad bought it in 1956, just before they got married. He did a little competitive shooting with it. She says after my sister and I were born, he stopped competitive shooting and put it away.

He and I used to hunt fur and fowl regularly and we own several shotguns and rifles. Though, I only remember him a couple of times over the last 50 years taking it out of the case and firing it.

I took it to the range over the weekend with a sandbag and it was grouping inside a quarter at 75 yards. It is solid, it did not move the crosshairs after shots and with my muffs on, it sounded like someone snapping their fingers.

I am looking forward to years of using this awesome rifle

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Remington did build a nice set of target guns. I'd like to see a target from you with it at 200 yards. I bet you will be surprised at how tight it is. They have an old single shot #3 I wanted in the worst way but I was $5,000 short.

Reactions: ms6852

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
200 yards with a .22? We used to shoot the M16 in competition at 200, 300 and 400 yards, and the slightest hint of a breeze would shift impacts like you wouldn't believe with the issue 55 grain M193 loads. Even 100 yards for a .22 is quite a feat, at least to expect any kind of grouping. But I am with you, Old Grump, it would be fun to see what happens.

As I remember, we shot matches with the M14 as 200 yards off-hand slow fire, 200 yards kneeling rapid fire, 400 yards standing to sitting and 600 yards prone slow fire. I recall it was 20 rounds per relay. Wind wasn't that much of a factor at 200 yards, but even with those M118 Match 173 grain bullets the wind became a factor.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing to add...I searched for the two photos in this thread for over an hour!! I want it to come up closer in my posting history. I took my antique tack driver to the range today and shot some Eley Match thru it. I had forgotten what a joy this rifle is to shoot

·
GUNZILLA
7,017 Posts
Not too many rifles can out shoot that rifle, they are tack drivers with the right ammo. I won't repeat anything else as Jim Brady covered pretty well. The only thing I would add is that I'll give you $5 more than what Jim Brady offers.:rolleyes: Congratulations on inheriting a fantastic shooting rifle. I shoot mine at 200 yards all the time.

Reactions: joe45c
1 - 11 of 11 Posts