The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got 2 guns at a gun show yesrterday.1st gun-remington 550-1.no shell deflector.stock is nice figured walnut with a professional looking completely filled finish.metal has not been touched.mag tube is just starting to show some patina.barrel is not there yet but is not a deep blue.receiver is not as dark as the barrel.any idea what its worth and how do you get the bolt to stay open?2nd-gun.savage 99.24" barrel.checkered pistol grip stock.barrel is still blue.receiver is showing carry wear.lyman front sight.id say its a shotgun style butt with metal butt plate.has scope mounted.serial # 350xxx.stock is dark from age and i guess oil but looks to have very nice grain.what do you think its worth?sorry but dont know how to post pics.thanks for your time and knowledge.

·
Registered
300 Posts
They are worth what you paid for them. Without pictures you can't expect much more than that, even good pictures don't tell the whole story. Check the auction sites, you are in a better position to make condition comparisons than anyone here.

With regard to the Savage 99 is it a takedown model or solid frame? What caliber is it chambered in? What does the fore end look like?

The scope is a non-factory addition and will kill any collector interest if the condition of the rifle is otherwise 95% or better. It sounds like it'll make a great hunting rifle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
solid frame.not snobble forearm..300 savage.my 70% might be someone elses 60% or 90%.dont feel knowledgable enough to give accurate percentage, but looks and works good for a gun around 75 years old

·
Registered
300 Posts
Should be an R model. Does the fore end has a double groove cut into the tip? If it's an R, it was their "heavy" rifle. Right around 1932 give or take.

Were I in the market for a scoped 99 of that vintage, I'd pay 500 for it based on your description. If it's an R with the double groove. The 300 Sav is almost as good as the 308 and doesn't beat you up at the bench.

A sweet rifle 2 guns, hope it shoots for you, they're supposed to be very good.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Savage 99 has the serial number on both stocks and the butt plate and the small plate under the pistol grip , matching numbers effects value, the Lyman sight is a goody too :cool:, my 99 had very dark stocks but a lot of gentle cleaning brought out a nice wood grain however its still a tad dark but nicer than it was.

·
Registered
300 Posts
2 Guns,

It is definitely an R then. Jackman is correct. Savage put the serial number on the fore end, buttstock and the backside of the butt plate. Did that due to the amount of hand fitting needed during assembly.

What scope and mount came with it? If you have the Stith mount you made out. The Stith uses the barrel sight dovetail and the tang sight screw holes to mount the scope.

You can decock the 99 when closing the lever by pressing the trigger as the lever comes up. You'll feel it. It's a handy feature. This only works on lever safety rifles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts