The Firearms Forum banner

Remington 597 magazines

11K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tcox4freedom 
#1 ·
I own two Remington 597 rifles in stainless steel with the synthetic stock. These have been wonderful rifles with great reliability and very good accuracy. However, it's really hard to find aftermarket parts and accessories for this rifle.

What I need most of all are new magazines. The OEM magazines are mostly plastic and after many years and many hundreds (thousands?) of rounds they no longer feed well. Where can I get new all-metal magazines? Are there any sources of other accessories for the 597? There must be hundreds of accessories for the Ruger 10/22, but I can't find anything for the Remington 597.

#3 ·
The factory metal ones are out there......I have even seen them at Dicks. I love my Rem 597.

#4 ·
I bought one for the wife, she doesn't shoot much so the factory mags have held up. The onlyl complaint is how stiff they are, takes forever to get them to hold anywhere near the listed capacity.

bought a few of their banana mags, they actually function very well.

midway and brownels usually has whatever is available

#6 ·
Yup, the best ones available are the factory third-revision magazines with the cast alloy body. Should be able to find em at pretty much any of the big sporting goods outfits.
As aa1911 posted, they're a stinker to load up to full 10 round capacity. I usually stop at 8. Easier on the thumbs that way. :)

You can get a 30-round magazine from Remington, but they're plastic and I haven't had very good luck with them feeding consistently after a little use. Kinda clumsy to use too since they stick out right about where the rifle balances so carrying it one-handed with one of them in the mag well is a pain.

As for other accesories, you're right that there isn't much available for the 597.
You can get the ProMag Archangel "tacti-cool" stock plus a few other synthetic or laminate stocks, scope/picatinny rail mounts, and a few big banana-clip style 30-rnd magazines. Volquartson makes a few drop-in action parts (Their Exact-Edge extractor is a worthwhile investment since the 597 does tend to beat up the factory extractor after several thousand rounds). That's about all that I've found.

I'm happy with my SS/laminate 597 so I haven't tricked it out with all sorts of doo-dads. It's pretty much stock on the outside with a little bit of trigger tuning on the inside.

#7 ·
Thanks everybody for the help. I'll try the sRemington third generation standards magazines first. Maybe pop for a 30 round mag at the same time.

I'm not looking to trick out or pimp my rifles, but was wondering what kind of accessories are out there for it. As I thought it looks like the number and variety are limited.

But thanks again for al the great feedback.

This is a great site. Glad I stumbled on it.

#8 ·
I bought the Quad rail version of the 597 so it's already setup like an AR. Really wish I'd gone with a S&W 22 instead but got a really good deal on this one.

The 30 rounder is only $15, for certain worthwile but they are clumsy and only hold about 25 rounds really.

my 10 rounders I can only load to 8 usually.

accuracy in mine is terrible, I think it will be making a trip back to Remington in the near future...

#9 ·
oh, and thanks for the info about the extractor, will be picking one of those up on the next brownels order. Thanks!

Only have about 1000 rounds through mine (the wife's actually)

#12 ·
I love my 597. But, I bought two plastic extended magazines from Midway and they have never worked right. The will only feed one or two rounds at best and they are very difficult (tight) to lock in & remove. I'd love to find a 20-30 rd magazine that would work with it.

I bought an extra OEM metal 10rd magazine from Brownells that worked good. But, at $29, it was a bit expensive. I've seriously neen thinking about trading it for a 1o/22 that I could trick out & let my son & daughter have some fun with.

-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.