Remington 700 action malfunction

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by lostineoregon, May 7, 2009.

1. lostineoregon

lostineoregon New Member

Hi!, I got a 700 PSS in 308. It is a few years old and hasn't been fired since it left the factory. I just recently got it from a collector in perfect condition.

I pulled it out of my case the other day, opened the bolt - pulled it back - pushed it forward - rotated it down, and the firing pin didn't lock in the (cocked) position.

The firing pin will lock in the rear position if I push on the safety; however, when I release the safety it fires the rifle. My rifle rifle doesn't have the X-mark pro trigger.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

lostineoregon:

First you have to figure out what is wrong. Since this was a collector gun he may have adjusted the trigger to be inoperable so as to make the gun as safe as possible while it was on display.

I would guess that the sear is not catching the firing pin to hold it back. It could be missing the spring that holds it up into the path of the firing pin or the sear engagement adjustment may have been mis-adjusted to the point where the sear will not engage with the part of the trigger mechanism that holds it in place.

If all of this is beyond you then take the gun to a gunsmith and have him determine the problem and fix it. Screwing around with a trigger system with no knowledge is extremely dangerous. Everything has to be adjusted correctly or the gun is unsafe and may fire at the wrong time without your help. Get it fixed right!

LDBennett

3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I had a similar problem on a Winchester rifle. LD's comment echoes my smiths evaluation of the problem, exactly.

Get thee to a smithe!

4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That sounds like someone got into the trigger and tried adjusting it either too light or too "crisp"....IOW with too little sear engagement for the trigger to hold the sear. I doubt it left the factory that way but it is possible that it did slip through the QA department when it was boxed up.

As it is right now, your action is being held cocked by the safety catch and is using that to hold the sear instead of the trigger. Not a good thing.

A trip to any 'smith that's familiar with the standard Remington trigger system should get things back the way they should be (or find the faulty part if there is one).
    http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html will show you how it works, but I'd still recommend a trip to the gun doc to get it done right. If you try the adjustments yourself, make sure that you do thorough safety checks on it before actually loading live ammo in it!

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I pretty much agree with all thats been said so far. At least with what the problem is. As far as how or why it happened? Too many possibilies. Fix it, get it fixed, or upgrade the trigger. But, don't try to use it as it is.

6. lostineoregon

lostineoregon New Member

Thanks every one. It was the trigger. All the slack was tuned out and it was balancing between failure and operation.