The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I got a problem with my 700 BDL, I bought it in 1977 or there about . I load 5 rounds and chamber the top 1, but after I fire the rifle and eject the case the next 4 rounds pop out of the magazine.

I'm a reloader and never had this problem before. I have a ton of brass and only reload rounds 4 times and trim it if needed. The same thing happens with factory ammo.

This is my "go to" rifle as I can cut smiley face at 100 yds with my reloads. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Art

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,372 Posts
Art, what do you mean by, "pop out of the magazine?" Do they all leap out at once? This sounds like a problem with the magazine - the lips are too widely spaced. Try taking a full magazine in your hand, strip off one round with your thumb, and see what happens with the rest of the rounds.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The Remington 700 BDL has an internal magazine with a hinged floor plate. The magazine feed lips are integral to the receiver. The feed lips never ware out, but the magazine leaf spring do sometimes get over compressed and some batches do get improperly heat treated. The follower for early 700 is stamped/formed steel which attaches to the top of the leaf spring, and the bottom of the leaf spring attaches to the floor plate. Make sure they are appropriately attached. Check the internal steel box magazine which is held in place by the trigger guard/floor plate assembly and a small screw near the trigger cut out on the bottom of the receiver. The box magazine shouldn’t move or be loose in the rifle stock, and this can be checked with floor plate open. I’ve owned four Remington 700 and never had a problem with the magazine.

The only thing I can think of is the receiver and magazine is made for a belted magnum cartridge and was assembled wrong at the factory. The Remington 700 you have is a long action receiver which is used for cartridges such the 270 Win., 280 Rem., 30-06, but also magnum cartridges such as 7mm Rem. Mag., or 300 Win. Mag. If it is a magnum magazine, the feed lips in the receiver is wider for a magnum cartridge. The only fix I can think of is to replace the trigger assembly with one of aftermarket drop box magazine. I found this one at Brownells. You’ll have to call them to find out the difference between the two.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your input. I'll be checking the spring and may even call Remington.
Rawright54 to answer your question "Yes" they all pop out.
PRR1957 Thanks for the GREAT detailed info. I didn't even know of the detachable drop in mag kits. This I'll probably get as I'm a gadget guy. It seems to solve the problem easily but I'll take your advise and call Brownells first.

Again thanks guys. Art

1 - 4 of 4 Posts