The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 700 SPS w/a SS barrel, in .25-06, last year and started reloading for it.
I checked jam length w/a 100gr Nosler BT bullet I have been using for many years, and was getting some varying jams as per my comparator.
I checked the most conservative jam length and then seated bullets .020" less than this length. I was seeing some high pressure signs, and the bottom 1/2" of one of the cases separated, which is odd because I use 52.0gr H4831 + a 100gr Nosler BT, in my other .25s, and it's a pussy cat load.
As a sanity check last spring, I bought a box of factory ammo, and it wouldn't chamber. I could not close the bolt.
Then: dropped it off at the gunsmith, who scoped the chamber and throat, and found an obstruction inside the throat, that he described as "a single land that extended rearward into the throat, in the 6 o'clock position."
A chamber reamer, gently used to take out the "land," took care of the obstruction. Afterwards, all ammo chambered and fired w/o incident.
Q: How are barrels made, and how is it possible that a single "land" be present, or be manufactured into the throat of the chamber?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
If all the lands did, I could tell you, but one land? That's one I've never seen! Not a surprise coming from Remington though. I've seen some bore scope video, on out of the box new 700 rifles that would make you cringe.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
I make custom barrels for a living, there isn't enough room in a post to explain all of the different ways to make a barrel. I can say that there is no way I know of to rifle a bore that will leave a single land in the chamber. Something went wrong when they cut the chamber and QC did not reject the flawed barrel.

·
Super Moderator
11,411 Posts
Quote .....I bought a used 700 SPS w/a SS barrel.

Quite possible "unfired" since no one could chamber a round.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Remington made hammer forged barrels in house for their production rifles.

I’m also not sure how a single land could be in the throat. I have cut chambers with reamers when I worked six years for a firearms manufacture plus being a machinist prior to that. The only thing I can imagine is that the reamers used didn’t have a pilot which mite mean that chamber is cut of center from the bore.

Nothing surprises me with anything that Remington had made since 1995 on till they shut down from the bankruptcy. The last new Remington I had was a left hand 700 VS in 308 Win.. The bolt face was cut with a dull tool. The barrel had so much stress that when barrel was cold then hot it shot two distinct groups. Where the bolt handle cams against the receiver for initial extraction started to gall. Also. The action was off center in the HS Precision stock. The 700 VS in 220 Swift and 700 PSS in 223 Rem. I had before that last 700 VS 308 Win. were both tack drivers without any manufacturing problem or defects.

I don’t believe that Remington who is just now restarting up production will improve on its quality. The same lack of quality that put the company in financial trouble and brought about the bankruptcy. Remington’s current bean counters will be more concerned with quantity over quality to recover the investment of which I believe that Remington won’t last with this new round of ownership and management leading to another bankruptcy in the future.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
I’m also not sure how a single land could be in the throat. I have cut chambers with reamers when I worked six years for a firearms manufacture plus being a machinist prior to that. The only thing I can imagine is that the reamers used didn’t have a pilot which mite mean that chamber is cut of center from the bore.
The reamer used may have had a broken flute leaving what looked like a land in the throat. what ever did it should have been found at the factory when the rifle was checked for head space and proof fired, unles Remington thought that checking head space and proof firing was costing them too much money. Could be that some Bubba tried using a broken chamber reamer in it after it left the factory for whatever reason Bubbas do such things. Maybe Bubba traded it off after he failed to fix whatever it was he thought he could fix didn't fix it.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Grizzley1,
Possibly that a chipped/damaged reamer could had done that, but I’ve cut dozens of chambers and still find it hard to believe that a machine cutting the chamber doesn’t dwell for a couple of rotations at the final finish cut depth, unless the final finish cut is done by hand were I could see that happen but more then likely it’s all done by machining. What ever the case, this is one more example of Remington lack of QC. Look at how Remington ruined the quality and reputation of their 870 by leaving sharp edges on the pump actuation bars which needs to be deburring to get the gun to operate smoothly.

It really bothered me as how Remington’s quality declined over the years. I mean for a long time the Model 700 was the bench for accuracy. Back in the 1960’s-70’s, many of Benchrest matches were won with out of the box 700’s, and 40X’s that were hand assembled by the Custom Shop, but be it with production parts. Yes with mass production there will always be defects that slip through, but with Remington it gradually got worse and more frequent with time. That left hand 700 VS in 308 Win I had, I sent it back to Remington. They had it for 2-1/2 months, and sent it back to me claiming that all the listed defects were within spec. I ended up recutting the bolt face, fixing the galling on the bolt cam, and replacing the barrel with a Krieger for a NIB 700 that I paid $650 for in 1996. Another problem that plagued latter production 700’s, was improperly timed bolt caming. A lot private gunsmiths made good money fixing that. Figuratively speaking, Remington shot themselves in their foot.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Got past QC inspection, how did it get past the test fire, if it wouldn't chamber a factory round?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got past QC inspection, how did it get past the test fire, if it wouldn't chamber a factory round?
I figured my ammo had at least 6 reloading on it, and naturally had a smaller OD that new factory loads, that why I could chamber my reloads.
What is the normal throat clearance between OD of bullet neck to throat ID? This is curiosity question, because I had a Winchester Coyote in .223WSSM that had .016" clearance = difference between loaded round OD and chamber ID(determined by cerro-safe casting). It shot like crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts