Remington 700 Triangular Barrels

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Bubblehead, May 7, 2009.

1. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Hi, does anyone have any experience or opinions on the new Remington Model 700's with the triangular barrels?

Your input/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I was looking at those VTRs when I was looking for a new coyote rifle. The pricetag and the muzzlebrake kept me from buying one though... That barrel does look a little funky but it is nice to have a heavier barrel profile without all the weight. I suppose it's either a love-it or hate-it thing.
    Same old 700 trigger (if it's not good out of the box it's easily tuneable), and the stock seems to be nice and solid.

I know a couple of guys that have bought VTRs...one .22-250 and one .223. For the most part, both guys like em...and I really liked the .223 when I got a chance to pop a few rounds off with it. The .22-250 owner I know isn't all that pleased with the muzzle-brake that's built into the end of that stumpy barrel though. He's having to work up new loads for it using faster powder than his "old faithful" loads since the fireball from IMR4064 is pretty wild in low light.

The only thing that really bugs me about these new 700s with the matte finish is that when they do the bead-blasting (or lack of polishing) the bolt rails are a lot rougher than on an older 700. Nothing that a bit of time with some lapping compound wouldn't cure though. I think even the new polished/blued CDLs are a bit rougher than the older 700s...but maybe that's in my head too.

Last edited: May 7, 2009

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

4. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

The model I'm looking at is the new 2009 Extreme Hunter. This model does not have the muzzle brake. I've seen/held the VTR at my gun dealer. It felt great, good weight and shouldered nicely. I'd be interested in hearing how the VTR performs once you get a break in the weather.

John

5. gdmoody

jm, I finally had a chance to go shoot it today and I am very happy with it. I would happily recommend it to anyone. If you click on the link I put in my previous post you will see a picture of one of the targets I shot at 100 yards.

6. pricedo

pricedo Member

I got a Remington 700 VTR in .308 Win. cheap from a friend who wanted to dump it & buy a "for real" varmint rifle & I didn't like the phony Star Wars gimmicky appearance of it from the getgo. After a few shots I concluded that the so-called muzzle brake (actually a flip compensator) was as useless as mammaries on a rooster so I chopped it off & recess crowned the remaining barrel the standard 1/4" from the face. I also replaced the factory trigger with a fully adjustable Timney & pillar bedded the action & dremmeled down the contact points and free floated the 20" barrel.
    I topped my new fast pointing deer rifle off with a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm scope.
    I'm getting consistent 1/2" 3 shot groups @ 100 yds. with 150 grain Nosler Partition Spitzer bullets over an undisclosed amount of H-Varget powder.
    The VTR is an example of what happens when marketers start making engineering decisions.
    Big Green needs to get away from gimmick marketing & back to quality & design based on sound engineering principles.
    Remington used to be my "goto" manufacturer when I was looking for a new gun.........now it's Savage Arms.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Overall I've been happy with my Remington 700 XHR in 7MM-08. Sub MOA groups and good accuracy on the steel range out to 500 meters. However when I took it deer hunting this year, I decided I wanted a shorter, lightweight rifle. Your comment regarding cutting down the barrel of the VTR intrigues me. My barrel is 24". If I had it cut down to 22 or 20", would I encounter any performance problems? Is cutting down a barrel a standard type of augmentation that folks do to their rifles? Any info would be appreciated.

8. pricedo

pricedo Member

The 2" of barrel that contains the muzzle brake is vented so the effective barrel length in reality is whatever the original length with the brake was minus 2 inches. You will lose nothing as regards velocity by cutting the barrel just behind the brake.

Barrel cutting & re-crowning is a don't try this at home operation unless you're familiar & skilled with saws, lathes, countersinking drills & other advanced gunsmithing tools........leave this kind of stuff to an experienced gunsmith/machinist.

I don't discourage anyone from experimenting & learning but save your first pilot projects on your way up the learning curve for old shot out enfields, mosins & other rejects so if you frak things up you won't be sacrificing much.

If you get a gunsmith you know well to chop & re-crown your VTR ask him if you can observe the operation.

My little Amputee VTR is a dream to carry, point & shoot as well as a conversation piece.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  9. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

pricedo,

I'm very intrigued by your project. Can you post a picture or two so I can what the "new" rifle looks like?

I'm seriously thinking of going this route instead of buying a new rifle. I would never attempt to do the work myself so now I have to find an accomplished gunsmith.

Thanks for the information.

John

10. pricedo

pricedo Member

I'll dust off my trusty old digital camera & post some photos on PB & then link them to a near future post on here.

11. pricedo

pricedo Member

My Amputee VTR is a lot more compact & shoots better than before the rehabilitative surgery. It looks much more like a serious firearm & much less like a kids toy now than it did with that useless, sales gimmicky muzzle brake.

A nice handy & very accurate little deer rifle.

The Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm scope is a great scope for the money. I actually think the optics in this scope is superior to most of my Leupold scopes.

I didn't capture it very well (I'm better with tools than with cameras & computers) but the actual crown of the muzzle is indented 1/4" from the muzzle face. This protects the accuracy critical crown from incidental contact damage in the field. You can drop this gun & not damage the crown because it's protected all around by 1/4"of steel.

The action is pillar bedded & the barrel free floated (no contact points with the stock) which was not the case with the original gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  12. gdmoody

It does look good. How can chopping off the muzzle break help it shoot better?

13. pricedo

pricedo Member

Chopping off the muzzle brake doesn't typically make a gun shoot better.

Bedding the action & free floating the barrel usually does.

An effective muzzle brake can in fact tighten groups by reducing recoil & muzzle jump.

In my opinion the muzzle brake on my Remington VTR in .308 Win. pictured in my last post did neither & was thus a redundant piece of branch grabbing steel that contributed nothing ballistically to the effectiveness of the firearm & off it came.

The fact that it shot better in the shorter configuration is anybody's guess & probably had more to do with the pillar bedding, free floated barrel & light, crisp Timney trigger than the presence or absence of the brake.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  14. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

pricedo,

Great looking rifle. I like it! I know you cut the barrel off somewhere behind the brake but how long is the barrel now? Mine is currently 24" and I'm not sure how much I want to remove.

Thanks for the pictures.

John

15. pricedo

pricedo Member

The barrel of my VTR is now 20" long.

Circumcise it right behind the muzzle brake.

The barrel with the brake is 22" long & after the cut you'll have a 20" barrel.

The effective ballistic length (the barrel length the burning powder imparts energy to the accelerating bullet) of the barrel with the vented brake is only 20" to begin with so you'll sacrifice nothing as regards velocity.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010