Remington 740 Ejection Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

ssjmbob
    (2/14/02 6:09:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Remington 740 ejection problems
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mine worked reliably until this year, when it began to jam because the fired round did not fully eject upon firing. Is this a common problem with this model? Is there a cost effective fix? Is it a matter of cleaning out a gas port? If so, how do I get at it? It looks like the barrel must come off to get at the action, to me, which is something I'm not equiped to handle. This is a gun that was used by my grandfather and father, and one I'd like to give to my son in a few years, if it's economically sensible to do so, and safe.

This problem has also apparently effected the rifle's accuracy, as I can no longer get a reliable pattern at the range. Is that possible, or have I just lost my ability to shoot straight?

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/02 6:31:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Remington 740 ejection problems
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome ssjmbob......stick around. One of our Remington experts should drop in shortly.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/02 6:39:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Remington 740 ejection problems
    No sir. You undoubtedly have fouled gas ports. You will have to disassemble the rifle, but you should not have to disassemble the barrel from the receiver. A pipe cleaner soaked in nitro solvent works well.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

ssjmbob
    (2/15/02 10:06:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Remington 740 ejection problems
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try.

BigMike
    (2/27/02 1:09:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Remington 740 ejection problems
    ssjmbob,

I had a 740 eons ago in .30-06....... It was a very good shooter, and would digest anything I fed it.

The 740 differs from the more recent Remington auto-loaders in that its ejector is mounted on the inner left receiver wall; check to make sure that it isn't broken or frozen......

The later [after 196 auto-loaders had their ejectors in the bolt face: 742, 74, and 7400's....

Good Luck......

BigMike