Remington 76 sportsman 30-06 durability and reliability

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Hannibalbarca, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Hannibalbarca

Hannibalbarca New Member

Does anyone here have any experience with the Remington pump action rifles and also the semi auto series of rifles.
    I'd like to know the durability of them, specifically the 76 sportsman. I'm looking at one in 30-06 that seems in good condition and is overall a nice deal.
    I'm concerned with reliability, accuracy and all durability. I was told by several gun smiths that the chamber will bulge out and that lugs can shear or break if using hot ammo(like buffalo bore supercharged 180 grain soft point 2850 fps from 22" barrel) and that they just aren't very durable or reliable guns. Several also stated the accuracy is awful but plenty have said that the accuracy is 1 MOA or better or one thing like 1.5 MOA and have never had a malfunction.
    The 76s were made for only two years, from 1985 to 1987 I think and are basically the same as the 7600s just no checkered walnut.
    Say after 10k rounds of that buffalo bore ammo, how would the gun function? Assuming brand new of course.

2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

That series of guns is based on the shotgun that looks similar. I have a 7600 pump bought new in the 1990's and have not had any problems with it. It is in 35 Whelen which is a thumper of a cartridge. It does employ less than ideal stamped sheet metal parts internally. If you shoot ammo in the 76 that meets SAAMI specification it should be no problem, I would think. I reload for mine to reloading manual levels with no problems. There are reloaders out there that treat reloading specification in reloading manuals as guide lines and will greatly exceed them rather than buying a bigger gun. I suspect that is what the gunsmiths are seeing....terribly abused gun that have a right to fail.

But on the other hand, known hot cartridges need strong guns and semi-auto/pump guns are not in that class. Perhaps if you know you will be shooting real thumper cartridges you should move to a bolt gun that may be much stronger. The exception might be the Browning BAR and BPR. Here is an article that compares the two pumps.

https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/10_5/features/-4627-1.html#.WkzX-iOZN20

LDBennett

3. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I suspect that it's a very rare hunting rifle that ever sees 10,000 rounds of anything fired through it, let alone that much hot ammo. In any event you'll likely see a very significant drop off in accuracy in any sporting weight rifle with that level of use. I can't speak to the durability of that specific action but 10k rounds is beyond the expected useful lifespan of sporting weight barrels in general.

Personally, I'd look at a strong bolt that is easy to rebarrel if I planned to shoot it that way.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  4. eastbanks

eastbanks Well-Known Member

if its in good condition, it will last a life time of hunting. I know of no big bore rifle that will run 10,000 rounds with burning out the bore. my 7600 pump carbine 3006 has taken a truck load of deer and shoots MOA with the right load. I don,t think you would have any problems with normal loads. eastbank.

Attached Files: