Remington 760 Date of Manufacture

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

gewehr44
    (8/5/02 1:17:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Remington 760 codes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think I'm going to sell my old Remington 760 carbine. I'm trying to discern the date of manufacture from the codes on the rifle, but I don't know which is the correct one to use. On the barrel right in front of the receiver there are two letters clearly visible "B" & "J". Farther up the barrel is a "G". On the other side are some interesting characters if anybody knows for extra credit.

Thanks!

============================
    False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm those only who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. - Cesare Beccaria 1764

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/5/02 2:28:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Remington 760 codes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The rifle was made in January 1962. The other marks are various assembly and testing marks used in manufacture.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

gewehr44
    (8/6/02 2:38:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Remington 760 codes
    Excellent, thank you very much!! So, it was January of that year going by the other date code? I didn't realize the rifle was that old. Only 10 more years & it'll be a C&R.

============================
    False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm those only who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. - Cesare Beccaria 1764