The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inheritated a 760 from my grandfather and want to use it for pigs. I'd like to put a sling swivel on it, but I don't like the barrelband idea. I tried to take off the action tube cap so I could drill and tap it for a swivel stud. I saw where there were indentations for a pin, but when I took a punch to it nothing happened. After working on it for quite a long time, I simply tried to unscrew the cap and it came free. This tells me that either the pin was sheared (which I don't believe) or there wasn't a pin in the first place. When I pulled the schematics on my rifle, I noticed that there is not a pin listed in the picture or the parts list. Can you shed some light on this for me? The serial number is 223812 and the stamp on the barrel is DA, which indicates 1954. Thank you very much for any insight you can give me.
Kyle

· Registered
1,471 Posts
What caliber is it? Some of those early rare calibers 760 are really climbing in value.

I can't remember for sure, been a while since I worked on a pre 68 760. I think there was a pin but it really doesn't need to be there.

I agree, I don't really like the band type. But on a 760 made after 68 the tube slides back and it's not a good place to mount a sling. On those the barrel band type works better.

Uncle Mikes makes a nice sling swivel setup for pre 68's;
http://www.unclemikes.com/accessories/rifle-swivels/remington-760-7600-%281968-older%29

Reactions: shootbrownelk
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.