Remington 870 Accessories

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by johnlives4christ, Apr 5, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have a remington 870 wingmaster. it has a 20 inch barrel. it is standard all the way around. wood stock. regular magazine. bead sight.

i have considered all the differant options of things i could "do" to her and was wondering what suggestions anyone would make to an accessory upgrade or just leave it alone like i have been.

im considering a pachmayr pistol grip, or a mag extension (wilson)

any ideas?

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have a suggestion, stick with it exactly as it is. Whether for sporting or defence use it is in my opinion better left alone. Why? Well sporting goes without saying, the flat forend and solid stock are perfect for quick handling and hunting shots. For defence I dont like pistol grips, the main reason given is to shorten the overall length, but thats not by much and In my opinion what you loose is much more. The full stock not only allows quick aimed shots, but can be tucked under the arm for stable hip shooting (very close range) and also makes the gun into a good hand to hand weapon, poking with the muzzle, bayonet fashion and swinging the stock out as a club. Just my 2c.

Ps Magazine extensions are great. No question there in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009

3. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

+1 on everything Tranter said.
    For add-on's, stick to the mag extension, and possibly a side saddle to hold extra rounds.....although that will definately add weight that you may or may not consider worth the trade-off.

4. SARG

SARG Member

I have to agree with the advice already given..... plus leaving the stock allows the gun to sit nicely behind a door. Mine has a tubular cloth cover for dust and disguise.

5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I agree with all of the above. I have a Mossberg 590 and because I have shorter arms I installed an adjustable butt stock and pistol grip. After a few hours of practice shooting from the shoulder and the hip my wrist was sore. For shooting from the hip the pistol grip is just not as natural as grasping the conventional stock. They are ok from the shoulder but in a self defense or combat role you may not be shouldering your shotgun. Yeh it looks "cool" and all but function should be your first concern. Besides, personally I liike the looks of wood over plastic.

6. johnlives4christ

im still considering all my options. im thinking about possibly putting a wilson combat magazine extension on it. since it has the older style spring stop and wouldnt need to be drilled.

does anyone know for certain the minimum length the gun has to be if i was to put a pistol grip on it??

7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

No, but resist the temptation. You simply cant hit targets half as well with a pistol grip as you will with a stock. You will reduce the effectiveness of the weapon. Of this I am sure.

8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Same as with any other shotgun: 18" barrel and 26" overall length, per NFA requirements.

9. johnlives4christ

i once had an ithaca 37 that had a pistol grip on it. it came from the factory OD green. i have also had a pistol grip, solid stock 870.. and i agree with runningonmt that it isn't near as comfortable, or controllable when shooting from the hip. i also have had a winchester 1300 that had a pistol grip and folding stock. and a mossberg 500 atp8. so i know how many various types of stock configurations feel and handle.
    one thing though, is that if i was to put a pistol grip on this gun, im sure it wouldnt stay on the gun perminately, it would just be something for me to play with, as this shotgun isn't my primary defensive weapon.

one reason im considering a magazine extension is that the magazine spring is weak due to being kept loaded for most of the guns life, so since im going to have to replace it as well im trying to decide if i want a mag extension at the same time. and i know wilson combat stuff is pretty good.
    i dont much care for the side saddle shell holders though, even though i have a short forend and could use one without modification. the other 870 i owned, i had put a side saddle on it, and also the winchester1300 i mentioned had one. the extra weight doesnt bother me and i've considered putting of of these on as well.

i appreciate everyones opinions, and am kinda surprised that most say not to modify. what does everyone think about the magazine extension?

~john

10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Makes sense. Why not?

Also the Remington 870 is an excellent shotgun. Tell you what. We had 870s for a while, many years ago, and used to mill a slot in the shell lifter plate. The reason was when loading under pressure a shell can fail to engage in the magazine, and pop out above the lifter plate, but under the bolt, which jams the gun! The slot allowed us to use a knfe or similar to push the shell back into the magazine.... Its a gunsmith/ armourer job though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  11. johnlives4christ

the older 870s had that problem, but newer ones have a cut in the shell lifter so that if it happens the tab created by the horseshoe shaped cut flexes down and the action can be cycled.... the one i have has an old style, cromed shell lifter and bolt. im told the crome piece is desirable, but i have no desire to sell it.

12. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL Member

I shoot a 870 Wingmaster with an eight round mag tube, mostly for weight cause I`m a gas gun shoulder sissy.

13. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Love my Rem 1100 tac 4, but I've heard others don't.
    It has the tube ext. for 8 in/0ne up which is great.
    Don't like pistol, like stock, it makes a good hammer/tool.
    A tac light or green laser is a maybe, i'll try the green laser for hip shot accuracy.
    Other wise keep it simple for me:):)
    I'm still looking for a tac choke though, can't seem to find one.

14. johnlives4christ

well the itch to do something to it has prompted me to cut the barrel down to 18+ . i have a good 3/8 so no worry there. i drilled the hole and had the local smith tap it for a bead. and i have replaced the old, weak magazine spring with a new, extra power spring. it sure makes a heck of a differance.

as far as a stock/pistol grip goes i think i've desided that i will leave it with the regular stock unless i can get an original remington folding stock. gunsmith says he can get one for around 100 used, which judging by ebay prices for one, is pretty reasonable.

one reason i desire a pistol grip or folding stock is because i sometimes take this gun to work with me, for SD. i own my own business, and i make my own hours. so if i sleep late i will stay late, or if something just has to be done, then i will work late. i have a bed upstairs too, and there has been times i've just took a nap and worked all night. i make furniture by the way, my main customer sometimes presses me so he can meet his deadlines. the building has been broken into before, with nothing taken though as the tenant upstairs in the attached apartment confronted the fellow. my wife goes with me most of the time, she will help me with the light duty stuff in the shop, and we have a full kitchen there so she will cook for me if i get hungary. so im considering her safety as well. the area isnt the heart of the city, but it is populated, and i know a scattergun will not go very far, especially with birdshot. sometimes i keep #4 buck as well. given a shorter gun, it is a lot easier to maneuver the gun while transfering from the car to the building, or vice versa.

~john

15. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

John, listen to what these folks are saying! Don't do anything to your gun, except maybe add the mag extension. The "butt stroke" Trantor was telling you about is standard military training, because it works! Can't do that with a gun that has no butt stock. If you ever decide to hunt with it just buy whatever barrel you need. It's simple!