The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking with someone at work, they mentioned that the newer models of the 870 are susceptible to misfires? Is this true? Is this common knowledge - since I haven't touched one since 1995 up at Rampart Range in Colorado?

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
Not that I have heard of. A lot of the new guys at my club start with an 870. The only problem I know of is Remington shotguns don't like Winchester shells.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not that I have heard of. A lot of the new guys at my club start with an 870. The only problem I know of is Remington shotguns don't like Winchester shells.
Ok, I never heard anything like that before. Since the 870 is still issued throughout various factions of the government, that would potentially be a big problem. I was skeptic, but he seemed to have the experience I didnt.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
My son has 4 Remington 1100's. They Winchesters jam all of his. My 1100 Competition Trap jams every 3rd round with them. I was talking to some guys at the club today and one of the guys has an 870 and said they jam his also. Keep in mind these are target loads not buckshot.

Reactions: Promethos

·
Registered
360 Posts
the Winchester shells will and can cause trouble in dirty-rough chambers more than other cheap shells, the bases are made with mild steel and after firing the base does not shrink as much as other cheap shell,s causing problems. I use federal 100 round cheap Walmart shells and they run in all my pumps-semi shotguns. last week I shot 200 rounds of them at a sporting clays(100) in the morning and another 100 at trap in the afternoon thru a Remington 11/87 with no problems at all, other than my normal so-so scores.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the Winchester shells will and can cause trouble in dirty-rough chambers more than other cheap shells, the bases are made with mild steel and after firing the base does not shrink as much as other cheap shell,s causing problems. I use federal 100 round cheap Walmart shells and they run in all my pumps-semi shotguns. last week I shot 200 rounds of them at a sporting clays(100) in the morning and another 100 at trap in the afternoon thru a Remington 11/87 with no problems at all, other than my normal so-so scores.
Ok, so that may have been the case... The user was using cheap shells that fail to contract as well as other cheap shells. Therefore, 870 is still good cheap and effective...

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Rem 870 Express, and it isn't a misfire, it's failure to extract the fired case. It gets even worse using low base aluminum bulk ammo from places like Walmart. The problem comes mainly from poorly finished rough chambers. Some have that, and a dip/groove milled into the barrel tang, just behind the chamber. When you start to extract the fired shell, the tension from the extractor would push the rim of the hull into that groove and lock the gun up.
Remington is well aware of the problem, and does a warranty repair, no questions asked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
clarity has been achieved. The other post suggest that there either is two known problems OR aluminum / Walmart ammo have something in common with Winchester low end shells. Thank you ... much appreciated information. This seemingly does explain why the military / LE do not encounter this problem with their ammunition.

no, Four-H and junior shooting classes us 10 of them and nons has misfired in thousands of rounds.
That's insane - what do you do with a misfired shotgun shell - extract the ball, wadding, powder, punch a new primer in and reload?

·
Registered
360 Posts
my fat fingers get in the way, I,m sorry about that. our 4H and junior safety shooting programs have been using rem 870 shotguns for many years and have fired thousands of rounds with no misfires related to the shotguns, they are well maintained. a shotgun shell that does not go off is desposed of in a small bucket of water to be buried later.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
When you hear click, and no bang, you slowly count to 10 before opening the action.
If it doesn't go off by 10, you got a misfire.
If it goes off before you get to 10, it's a hangfire. Open the action before a hangfire goes off, and you get a real nasty surprise.
If you hear a pop or poof, instead of a boom or bang, there's a good chance you have a "squib". That's a bullet or shot cup that didn't have enough umph to leave the bore. The next shot, best case you only bulge the barrel. Worse case, your barrel turns into hand grenade fragments.
Both Winchester and Fiocchi make the cheap "bulk" ammo, and you do get what you pay for.;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Information much appreciated ... thank you very very much. Has the Remington 870 ever, especially in the newer models, been known to unintentionally fire? I.e. dropping, slapping, mishandling, without excessive force, the weapon? Someone had said the newer models of the 870 may have had that problem. I heard that and kinda ended the conversation because my time with the older 870 models using Federal shells never had any problems of any kind. Then again, I believe Federal still uses brass for their better shells. I believe Federal ammo is actually good ammunition, but am not the expert.

·
Premium Member
13,252 Posts
Saw the result of an FBI agent who'd inadvertently scooped a 20 gauge skeet round from a pile of shells on the range table, manually chambered it in a Bureau issue 870 Police Gun - 12 guage of course - and then, CLICK!. Racks the slide, assumes the "dud" had been ejected, inserts a 12 gauge round into the empty chamber, calls for the bird, and KABOOM! - about midway down the barrel where the 20 gauge booby trap had been waiting. The barrel looked like a snake that'd swallowed a soft ball, with several longitudinal splits. Fortunately neither he nor anyone standing nearby was injured, but the barrel was a goner. Rather than incur the wrath of J Edgar I suspect he just quietly purchased a new barrel.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Remington 870,s are one of the strongest shotguns made. I saw on a tv show that same thing, with no harm coming to the shotgun but the barrel was toast.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I've owned at least a dozen different Remington 870s, a couple I assembled from parts, never had a malfunction. Two of the three Mossberg 500's I've owned, did.
I've seen one 870 go off when it wasn't suppose to. I was the mechanic for the Fresno County Sheriffs dept, in a garage under the jail/courthouse. End of shift, the deputies unloaded the riot guns, before they took them inside to the locker.
One 870 Riot would always hang up a round when they were clearing it. It had been written up and "repaired" several times. Summer time triple digits, they did this in the cars, windows up, A/C running. Deputy Hernandez was trying to clear it, and it went off blowing a hole through the roof and exploding the light bar on top. 00 Buck bounced off the concrete ceiling sending concrete and lead fragments all over. That broke glass in a half dozen other cars. Hernandez got out of the car with blood running out of his right ear from a ruptured eardrum.
Internal Affairs did an investigation, and found that another deputy had backed his patrol car over it the month before, and never reported it.
I was waiting for the jailer to come down and get the trustees I supervised, so I could go home. One they called "Boo", nice guy, but had just a little higher IQ than a barnyard chicken. With all the commotion, no one noticed he was missing. When the gun went off, he just took off running. They found him still running 2 miles south on M st. Didn't know where he was going, just running.:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've owned at least a dozen different Remington 870s, a couple I assembled from parts, never had a malfunction. Two of the three Mossberg 500's I've owned, did.
I've seen one 870 go off when it wasn't suppose to. I was the mechanic for the Fresno County Sheriffs dept, in a garage under the jail/courthouse. End of shift, the deputies unloaded the riot guns, before they took them inside to the locker.
One 870 Riot would always hang up a round when they were clearing it. It had been written up and "repaired" several times. Summer time triple digits, they did this in the cars, windows up, A/C running. Deputy Hernandez was trying to clear it, and it went off blowing a hole through the roof and exploding the light bar on top. 00 Buck bounced off the concrete ceiling sending concrete and lead fragments all over. That broke glass in a half dozen other cars. Hernandez got out of the car with blood running out of his right ear from a ruptured eardrum.
Internal Affairs did an investigation, and found that another deputy had backed his patrol car over it the month before, and never reported it.
I was waiting for the jailer to come down and get the trustees I supervised, so I could go home. One they called "Boo", nice guy, but had just a little higher IQ than a barnyard chicken. With all the commotion, no one noticed he was missing. When the gun went off, he just took off running. They found him still running 2 miles south on M st. Didn't know where he was going, just running.:D

:lol:That is funny, but closer to what I thought. Writ large - the Remington 870 didn't go off when it wasn't supposed to.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
The MO Dept of Corrections has used 870's for decades. Never heard of one with failure to fire issues. The cheap ammo does create an eject problem. When my youngest son bought his first 870 I made the mistake of buying him a case of the stuff. Nothing but trouble, it's still around here somewhere. Switched to high brass Federals and it's been flawless since.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts