The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a 870 but I am really confused to choose between Super Magnum 870 and Regular 870.
I want to go waterfowl, turkey hunting and some trap.
first, Is it worth to pay 80$ more for Super Mag? (is 3.5'' shell sensibly more effective than 3'' ?)
second, I am concerned if Super Mag has problem with 2.75'' shells or not?? (loading and ejecting)

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I had a Remington 870 Deer Magnum back in the early 90's that fired 3" shells and 2.75" shells without and any problems. A 3'' chamber should suit your purposes just fine.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Id buy the 3.5" pumpgun. Itll shoot all lengths just fine and pattern better.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I had a 3 1/2 mossberg with a super full turkey tube it was the best shooting shotgun i ever shot, something about the shot opening up more in the 3.5" barrel but it was awesome

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
that's the overbored 835 HD.. The Mossy 835 bores are opened t 10 ga dimensions, whoich causes the shot to distort less and fly more true. Which is why they pattern so well. Pretty much screwed shooting slugs tho.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup, I'd go with the 3.5" right away if you ever have plans on shooting the longer magnums.

I've got a 3.5" 870 and it feeds all three lengths with no problems.

If for some reason the barrel doesn't pattern well with your trap loads, you can always slap a short chamber barrel onto the receiver....but that means buying another barrel. I don't think you'll need to though. Mine patterns fine with 2.75" rabbit/dove or pheasant loads.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
mine does quite nice on all loads. I do everything from 2 3/4" for clays up to big heavy 3 1/2" BBB for honkers on pass shooting. the only time I had a problem is with some 30 year old handloads that had bulged and jammed in the tube. I cleaned them out with a tire iron and reassembled in 3 minutes using a 9/16" impact socket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts