The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some remington core-lokt bullets that are .264 120 gr soft nose that I want to load as a hunting round for my 6.5 x .284 Norma. I can not find any reload data at all for any core- lokt bullets. Can anyone offer any help with building a load for this? I also have them in .308 165 gr soft nose that I will need help with. I am not working on that right now, but will in the future. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
If it was me, I'd find a bullet close in profile and of the same weight and use the starting data for it. Same thing for the 30 cal., 165. Hornady Interlocks come to mind. But, that's me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those responses! I was thinking along the same lines Sharps but thought someone might have some experience with reloading some of these specifically. I had not thought of the Sierra call center, but I have used them in the past. I did not know they would help with things that were not their products. Thanks again!

·
The Ole Gun Crank
823 Posts
Christensen Arms 416R Stainless Steel
Barrel with a medium Palma Contour
Shot one of these for a couple years ,1000yr bench rest,
loaded up a batch of 140 gr sierra hpbt for hunting
Shot some 120 ldb target bullets and they didnt suite me in the wind.
I used a max load of H4831 then switched to IMR 4831 to get a little more Velocity.
I agree with Sharps on the bullet Mfg. I did not have very go accuracy with the 165/168gr bullets.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Sierra is a good outfit. I lived about 50 miles from them for 25 years and one of their ballistics/load developers became a pretty good friend of mine. Goodness, I haven't seen Tommy in 10 or more years.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did what Sharps suggested for .308/Corelockt----I still think they are one of the best hunting bullets.
I agree with you on the Core-Lokt for a hunting round. I have never seen anything better in a .30 caliber. This will be the first ones I have tried in a different caliber.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called the Sierra help line and they were Johnny on the spot. He gave me load data for each bullet weight and powder that I had. I have not reloaded in a while and had forgotten about their help line, but it really is a great thing! It certainly makes me want to support them more. Companies that provide service like that these days are hard to find in about any product you are looking for, but when I find one I really like to do business with them!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I'd load em 20mils off the lands and use load data from a same weight bullet. Start low and go from there. After you adjust the charge play around with the seating depth if needed.

If you have a chrono you should be able to match the factory load with the right powder and also verify the velocity is within expectations. Velocity isn't everything as the right charge for your barrel will give you the best groups and hitting in the right spot is more inportaint than a faster bullet that misses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts