The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the highly modified Remington (looks like an 1858 model) in the new movie "Dark Tower". They've turned it into a double action, swing out cylinder, cartridge loading, handgun. As I have a Pietta made 1858 cap and ball with a conversion cylinder, I noticed it right away. I thought at first it was an modified 1875. It still has the 1858 cap and ball loading lever under the barrel and not the spring loaded ejector rod on the 1875 model. Neat version of an classic handgun.

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
I don't go to Movie theaters any more I wait for movies I want to see to come out on DVD usually. I will either rent it from redbox or buy it on Amazon if it is a movie I want to keep. BTW Welcome to TFF

·
Registered
17,476 Posts
I also thought it was a 75, until it was pointed out to me that the 75 does not have the cutout in front of the cylinder below the barrel for the ball.

Also the front sight is different.

Remington revolvers 1858 vs 1875.JPG

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen guns get popularized based on movies like Quigley's Sharps Rifle (which I've seen in several gun shops over the years) and of course the massive popularity of the Model 29, 44 Magnum after "Dirty Harry". I wonder if someone's going to try to put out a "Dark Tower" Remington handgun. We see some of the strangest guns being brought out, both new designs (like the double barreled pump action shotgun) or old guns (like the Richards-Mason Conversion of the 1860 Colt from Uberti). But, they're just neat to shoot.

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
Yup I saw the movie. the gun partially bothered me.. but then I thought about the irony of the movie.

It was actually a horror film... horror for demonrats.

Lets face it.. A black man, saves the world, using guns. ;)

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
After reading the Dark Tower series of books, I doubt any movie will be able to do it justice. I might watch it someday when it comes to TV or Netflix. I have seen the TV commercials for the movie and the guns did fascinate me, I do not have any knowledge on old western guns so I wondered what it was.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'd probably watch the movie on DVD. I don't get TV and don't go to movies, I buy them at the Bi Mart when they get down to at least $8. I don't believe we do any harm to Hollywood boycotting them. Instead we miss some thing's now and then we know is wrong. There are actor's who's movies I don't watch but then I have watched them and haven't like any of them so don't waste my money! BTW, Bi Mart has a $4 rack to. Now and then ya get a decent, not good but decent, movie out of it!

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
I'd probably watch the movie on DVD. I don't get TV and don't go to movies, I buy them at the Bi Mart when they get down to at least $8. I don't believe we do any harm to Hollywood boycotting them. Instead we miss some thing's now and then we know is wrong. There are actor's who's movies I don't watch but then I have watched them and haven't like any of them so don't waste my money! BTW, Bi Mart has a $4 rack to. Now and then ya get a decent, not good but decent, movie out of it!
those 4$-8$ dvd racks and bins at walmart drive my wife crazy. I like to dig thru them and find gems. ;)

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
Not to change the subject. . . but, the best book to movie collaboration I have ever seen was "The Godfather"!

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Yep, east dark tower a series too?. Hard to condense a book series into a one showing movie.
They're not condensing a series into a movie. The movie is supposed to take up where book 8 left off but there's too many discrepancies between the books and the movie and they didn't follow the story line

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
Seen that alot in book to movie adaptions..

Usually I like the book version better...

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
M

Me too. A book can give so much more information and go into greater detail. If a movie followed a book exactly it would be eight hours long :D They could have done a lot better job tho.
8 hr movies... Ah.. Kevin Costner movies ;)

Speaking of long movies.. You guys remember intermissions in movies?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
They (Hollyweird) butchered "The Stand" by King.
My favorite fiction book.
Hollywierd has butchered every SK novel they have ever made into a movie! Through I have yet to see this one, Roland is not black. If you have read the books, you know he's white, as the character Detta refers to him (Roland) as "honky" in the books. Various cover art also depicts him as white, almost Clint Eastwood looking...

I haven't read any of the Dark Tower books, but I have listened to the unabridged audio books 3 or 4 times. Great series, especially the way King works the old west genera with the modern day, when Roland meets up with his companions.

Spoiler, Randall Flagg from The Stand, is also a personification of The Man In Black.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.