The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remington model 11 that from what I can make out from the numbers on it is from 1947?
Anyway the choke is trashed. Question is was this available on this gun? No pictures I find of model 11’s have this choke on the barrel. Second question is weather or not it can be repaired.
The gun isn’t worth much I would guess, but it was my dad’s, so has sentimental value to me.
Thanks for any info.
914DC414-C6AC-42FA-9AAF-214BC3929720.jpeg
C64B445A-B4B6-401D-B6CB-4A30433F4C61.jpeg

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
That's a Poly Choke, or whats left of it, and yes it was a factory installed option. Corson's has them, but you still need Goofy to remove the old one, and install the new.

·
Super Moderator
26,201 Posts
I didn’t know if that was factory, or added on. Goofy is a member here I take it?
Thanks for the info.
Yes he is. One of our resident gunsmiths and gives members a discount.

Reactions: goofy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I would expect! :)
Seems like I always wait till the busy time of year to get things done. I go into the gun cabinet to get something and think “I have to get that old gun fixed “, and that gets the ball rolling.
I sent Goofy a PM. No big hurry though.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Drake, can you post a close up pic of the damage under the electrical tape on the wrist of the stock? Let's see what it'll take to fix that too. Can't have Dad's gun non-functional, and looking like a truck gun.;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can take the tape off if needed. It’s probably been there since the 60’s.
B276800F-96D1-4936-88F4-F7B64A5A1247.jpeg
C03369F1-C89B-4B35-8FE2-144B5CD7D666.jpeg

·
TFFWPP President
13,557 Posts
Oh man, you send that to Goofy with a blank check and orders to "do whatever". You'll have the sweetest looking, highest functioning, best built shotgun to ever exist. That's what happened to my Win94. Family sentimental value can far outweigh logic when it comes to his work. If you don't like what he does you should swear off guns and pick another hobby, like yarn making

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh man, you send that to Goofy with a blank check and orders to "do whatever". You'll have the sweetest looking, highest functioning, best built shotgun to ever exist. That's what happened to my Win94. Family sentimental value can far outweigh logic when it comes to his work. If you don't like what he does you should swear off guns and pick another hobby, like yarn making
Shhhh...don’t let my wife hear. She wants new drapes.
Wait till I get into my fathers Wingmaster. It’s getting to the point where it needs a little attention too. That’s been my go to gun since he passed away in 1990. The model 11 just sits. Time to do something about that.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Unless there's something under the tape I can't see, and I don't think there is, the good news is there's no missing pieces! Looks like a simple crack, and an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
9,317 Posts
I am back from the tree condo.
My ears were burning so I know someone was talking about me.......
If this is a factory choke then the coller is part of the barrel and the choke screws into the collar. Which means it would have to be cut of and re-crowned.
If it were my gun I would get a replacement poly choke and not cut it.
If it was added on then it is soldered and will need to be un soldered and blued.
So again replacing it would be the best bet.
I see where if you took the tape off a chunk of wood would fall off.
I will not "Fix" a 12ga stock like this one because the break is on a stress point. Replacing that would be the way to go.
Does the part of the choke that is broken un screw from the barrel collar? Take off the sight screw and try it.

·
TFFWPP President
13,557 Posts
We called those chokes "Dial-a-Duck".

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Mike, That's what I was trying to remember on that choke, been years since I've had one. The only one I've seen broken like that, was from a mud plug, and there was only one constriction finger left, all his are still there. I seem to remember someone making choke tubes with internal threads, that would thread on the outside of the barrel, Cutts or Lyman maybe?
If you don't want to mess with that stock, I can fix that one, that's my specialty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
We called those chokes "Dial-a-Duck".
That’s exactly what my dad used it for.
Every weekend during season he drive from Chicago to Cairo Illinois duck hunting. That was his passion. My mom always told the story of when one of my sisters was born,during duck season, that my dad came in the room after the delivery, kissed my mom, and left for Cairo. Yeah, my mom put up with a lot. ;)
What do you expect when you marry an outdoorsman type?
And thanks for the replies everyone, being new here I didn’t know what help I’d get.

·
Premium Member
9,317 Posts
Mike, That's what I was trying to remember on that choke, been years since I've had one. The only one I've seen broken like that, was from a mud plug, and there was only one constriction finger left, all his are still there. I seem to remember someone making choke tubes with internal threads, that would thread on the outside of the barrel, Cutts or Lyman maybe?
If you don't want to mess with that stock, I can fix that one, that's my specialty.
I need to see the stock with out the tape on it first. If what is wrong that I think (But can not tell from the pictures) Then it is on the stress point and because of liability issues I will not do it on any gun over .22.
How would you fix it so it stays?.

Oh, and Goofy, I pm’ed better pics of the choke.
The parts you need to fix it are available I think I saw some on E-bay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts