The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington model 30-S Express in a 300 Weatherby. I know the trigger group on it is aftermarket, but I'm thinking the barrel is after market also. I can't find any information showing that Remington ever made this model in a 300 Weatherby, but the barrel is stamped 300 Weatherby. The frame and bolt appear to be original. Can a 30-06 bolt work on a 300 Weatherby? The serial number on the rifle is stamped 28XXX. Any idea of when this would have been manufactured? Thanks...

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
The 30 and/or 30Express was never offered in any belted magnum chamberings from the factory.
Someone would have had to open the bolt face up to fit the larger case head. A fairly common procedure and relatively easy to do on a Mauser-style bolt face like the 30(or M1917) has.

The 30Express was made from '26 to '40. You might be able to narrow down the original date of manufacture via the serial number by contacting someone over at the Remington Society forum. http://www.remingtonsociety.com/

If it has the original barrel rechambered to .300Weatherby there should be the standard Remington "BLACKPOWDERX" date code on the barrel. But it sounds like your rifle had a complete new barrel fitted so you won't be able to date it that way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts