The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the technical deficiencies or quirks (if any) in this model?? I am thinking of purchasing a used rifle.:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Keep the action clean and the chamber polished and it'll run 99% of the time . Magazines are another source of trouble , they usually require some tuning !

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas figured it had tech problems at $325

·
Registered
108 Posts
They are high maintainence for sure , kind of like a fancy woman ! Get yourself a 7600 pump , if you need fast reliable follow up shots , and can chew gum and walk at the same time !

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
They are clumsy at best. They seem to only run as long as they are spotless clean and well lubed. And even then the magazines are a subject of aggravation. If you absolutely must have an autyoloader hunting rifle get a BAR, they are far more reliable and much simpler to maintain. But then Its a hunting rifle.. you really only get one clean shot anyway. so grab a bolt action.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
What are the technical deficiencies or quirks (if any) in this model?? I am thinking of purchasing a used rifle.:D
If you want a Remington semi-auto, then I suggest the Remington Model 742 Woodsmaster. You should be able to find one in the same price range. Remington started making the 742 in 1960. It's an older gun, but the one I had was a tack driver! And I would be willing to bet that there are still a lot of the old 10 round magazines around for it.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The 742 and 7400 are the same piece of candy in a different wrapper myles.

The problem with the rem autoloaders is they dont have any kind of buffering system and the violent stroke of the bolt during recoil literally tears them apart in relatively short order. They wear very quickly compared to other similar designs such as the BAR. Accuracy is on par with a good leveraction rifle (~3 MOA) but not quite as good as an equally priced and chambered bolt action (~1.5 MOA)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts