Remington R51

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by CrookCountyGO, Aug 26, 2016.

1. CrookCountyGO

CrookCountyGO Well-Known Member

I know the second generation of the R51 has been released recently, and I'm wondering if anyone has read or seen and reviews, or possibly has some hands on experience. After the manufacturing and quality control nightmare that happened on the initial release, I'm hoping Remington got their stuff together and did it right this time.

woolleyworm likes this.
  2. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Guess I just don't follow new gun's enough. When, before this, did Remington last market a handgun? How about Winchester?

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They have had their 1911 out for 5 years or so. It's a good shooter . My son has one and I really like it.

I had an R51 on order. Glad my order was canceled before it shipped. I would still be interested in one if I hear they have it working correctly now.

4. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

5. CrookCountyGO

Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones, Gvw. I spoke to a guy who bought a first generation R51 and he wasn't just unhappy with the gun, but with Remington's customer service. I was really looking forward to both the R51 and the RM380, but now I'm hesitant to buy either.

gvw3 likes this.
  6. tff-bug

tff-bug Member

Had the R51 in hand today. Felt good also had a lot of oil on that needs to be cleaned before shooting. Asking price was $399. Think I will wait and see how they do.

CrookCountyGO likes this.
  7. gvw3

The old one felt good in my hand also. I already have enough small handguns so I will probably pass on it now.

8. CrookCountyGO

The price is one of the things I liked. I watched a couple of youtube reviews about it - very mixed.

9. gvw3

Just watched this video. I want to part of this gun....

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I think I would have to pass on it.

11. CrookCountyGO

Thats one of the videos I watched too! Absolutely awful. And this is the "fixed" version! I watched a video by a different person and he had a glowing review. I'm skeptical.

12. gvw3

I have just watched several more videos and that gun just got booted from my wish list. What a shame that Remington has been dragged down to this level.