The Firearms Forum banner

Remington Rand M1911A1

Tags
6K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  zant 
#1 ·
Gun is chrome plated or SS, looks different to all pics I have seen, trigger, sights, hammer, slide grips, safety lever etc. Serial number is 8216xx. Could this be an officers pistol or presentation model?

#7 ·
So its a worthless piece of junk in spite of the low serial number?
If it shoots its not a worthless piece of junk but like already said, its a parts gun that has been further ruined with the plating...personally, I wouldnt pay over 400 for it and may not pay that after seeing it in person....

#8 ·
Joe, you come to this forum to get a value on your pistol.
First, you completely ignore the stickie posts at the top of this thread that clearly explain what the experts here need in order to give you an estimate of that value.
Then, when they tell you what they know WITHOUT having the information asked for, you seem to get upset and then post ONE fuzzy picture of the left side of the gun.

We have some GREAT people here who have a LOT of knowledge, but you really have to work with them a bit for them to be able to give you accurate help.

#9 ·
And, you will not catch me knocking a parts gun.
I have a 1911 that I made from parts over forty years ago. I chose an Essix frame and a Colt slide, stripped and blued. This pistol has given me great service, and is still a reliable shooter that I would NEVER part with. Anyone calling it a 'worthless piece of junk' is nothing but some kind of purist snob collector.

#10 ·
WOW! The gun is a mixed parts gun with alot of modifications. The slide has had the serrations recut and some added at the front. The trigger is not correct nor are the sights. It has also had the mainspring housing replaced with one containing an enlarged opening for the magazine. This is all common stuff done to enhance the shooting experience. The gun has no value to a collector as it is far to modified to be of much use even for parts. If it is tight and in good working order is is worth 3 to 5 hundred dollars. I would never pay any more for one in that condition. In fact I have turned guns like this for 200.00 as they were just too ground up to be of any use to me.

#12 ·
The frame is a 1911 frame, not a 1911 A1. I couldn't have been made in 1942.
There is a rib and front serrations added to the slide. Someone built a customized gun.
I was going by what the op said. Pics hadnt been posted then so I went to Clawsons and looked up the ser#. Pics are worth a thousand words as they say.

#14 ·
Wow, I really upset ampaterry didnt I? Sorry if I ignored the sticky posts. How do I find them? Please bare in mind that this is my first time here. I just bought an old gun for 300 and wanted to get a bit of info about it. Anyway, thanks for everything so far. if anybody wants any more info, glad to give. Im having a hell of a time trying to strip the old girl. There is no barrel collar at the front, (see pic).
Btw I didnt get upset ampaterry, and, as you have noted, Im not a profi photographer.
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82381&stc=1&d=1393032341

Attachments

#17 ·
I agree with DoubleD and the others. As long as it shoots well, it's worth something.

To me it looks like someone put a decent bit of work into a pile of parts and turned it into a nice looking shooter.
So the builder wanted it plated? No big deal...it's a parts gun. It's not ruined...although the plating job does look a bit dodgy (or just neglected).

The thing kinda reminds me of my first 1911. It was a 1911 frame that had been bobbed to fit an early (lightweight) Commander slide/barrel onto. It was just a mix-n-match of parts but it was a super shooter. The guy I bought it from thought it worthless (I paid $125 in 1992) since it had been "butchered" and had a ratty finish...but it shot straight, grouped well, and never failed on me.

Shooter is right, you'd have to post a picture of the pistol with the slide locked back to figure out that bushingless barrel setup. It looks similar to some that I've seen but I can't tell for sure if that "keyhole-looking plug is one-piece to the barrel or if it's separate. Pretty safe bet you probably need a disassembly wire/pin (or some other tool) to hold the spring in the compressed state when you pull the slide stop and dismount the slide assembly from the frame.

#18 · (Edited)
Ahhh...better pic!

Take a close look at that guide rod. I'd bet you find a small (1/16" or so) hole in it near the middle. If so, place a small wire with a 90° bend in the end into the hole and release the slide. The wire should hold the plug and spring compressed. Then, remove the slide stop and slide the assembly off of the frame.

If there isn't a hole in the guide rod for the wire, then I'm not sure what tool that system uses to hold the spring compressed.

The rust/pitting on the frame does make it look a little shabby but I also think it gives it a little character too. Okay...a lot of character. :D

#20 ·
Wow, I really upset ampaterry didnt I? Sorry if I ignored the sticky posts. How do I find them? Please bare in mind that this is my first time here. I just bought an old gun for 300 and wanted to get a bit of info about it. Anyway, thanks for everything so far. if anybody wants any more info, glad to give. Im having a hell of a time trying to strip the old girl. There is no barrel collar at the front, (see pic).
Btw I didnt get upset ampaterry, and, as you have noted, Im not a profi photographer.
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82381&stc=1&d=1393032341
It upsets me a little, yes, when we have true professionals here willing to take the time to help people, yet we get posts - virtually every day - from folks like you that do not give sufficient information to give them much help at all. "sticky" posts are the ones at the top of the forum when you first arrive at the "Ask the pros & what's it worth? forum". Each one is identified by the word "sticky" at the left end of the title, which means they remain at the top. The main one you needed to notice is the one titled "IMPORTANT!! Follow Guidelines or Post Will Be Removed", which is here:
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=14493

I do find your 1911 fascinating! Lots more pictures, from all angles (like that post says) would be very helpful -

#23 ·
The markins on the frame are fake. It is a model 1911 frame not a Model 1911A1. This gun looks very poorly constructed and more like one made in some far east country by hand with a grinding wheel and a file. The slide looks fake as well. I doubt you could remove enough metal from the original serrations to make the kind now in place. To be honest nothing here looks good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.