The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like these rolling blocks too. I have one with a 22 inch round barrel, that one is octagon. Mine has a straight butt plate, that one is real curved. How is the bore on that one? Mine is real rough. Mine says Model 4 on the left side of the receiver and a number 3285** They were made until 1933 with the last number of 356000.
I always thought of these as being "boys rifles" - smaller dimensions than a full size gun. I wonder if that is how they were sold.
Jim S.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy I talking to about it said it wasn't to accurate so I am thinking the bore might be bad or it just needs cleaning I am hope to see about getting it soon thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
According to the Remington 22 book by John Gyde and Roy Marcot, these were designed and marketed as boys rifles. The cheaper model 6's as well.

They were originaly made without the takedown feature, then there was the lever takedown version, and finally the coin slotted screw version.

The bore in mine is OK. not great. Mine is the lever takedown version.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
That thing that looks like the front hammer? That's the tab on your breech-block. The breech-block closes the back of the chamber, and the firing pin goes through it. Notice the top of the breech-block is curved. When the hammer is cocked, you pull back on that front tab and the breech-block rolls backwards and down, giving access to the chamber. That's why it's a "rolling block". The block rolls out of the way. Anyway, load the chamber and then roll the block back closed. Very simple. Very strong.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Alpo, I think Rem.1990 was asking how does the lever for the takedown work. Mine is the screw type takedown - the barrel doesn't screw into the receiver, it just fits into the hole and the screw goes in a groove on the bottom of the barrel. The lever must do something similar.
Jim S.

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Alpo, I think Rem.1990 was asking how does the lever for the takedown work. Mine is the screw type takedown - the barrel doesn't screw into the receiver, it just fits into the hole and the screw goes in a groove on the bottom of the barrel. The lever must do something similar.
Jim S.
That does make more sense. I wondered why he didn't know how his gun worked, but there have been stranger questions on here. :)

Yeah, mine's a screw, too. I got no idea about the lever.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
around here them old rolling block dont go all that high around i was at a auction back in march and a perfect stevens crack shot it was beautiful and only when for 126 dollars and this one isnt near as good as that one was thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.