The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought one at a garage sale, it was simply the action and barrel in 45-70. I'm not a fan of 45-70 and was curious if a gunsmith could covert this over to 450 bushmaster easily or is it not worth it. I'll add the current octagon barrel is not original.(so I wouldn't be screwing up a gem by any means)

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Ignoring the problem of changing the boltface and extractor, the 450 Bushmaster uses a 452 bullet and a 45/70 uses a 458. You'd need a different barrel to get any kind of accuracy.

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
.450 Bushmaster has a rebated rim, that old rolling block's extractor is designed to use rimmed cases. Your best bet is to leave it as a .45-70 if the bore is still in good condition or rebarrel it to something smaller in caliber that uses a rimmed case.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning on changing out the barrel regardless it literally weighs a metric ton! I never that about the extractor being an issue, maybe I could have the barrel turned and have a gunstock made.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really re-thinking this now.... I really don't want a 45-70 or that big of a project. I may just trade or sell it.

·
Premium Member
11,723 Posts
No sir, it isn't worth it. The roller is a strong action, for the era. I honestly don't know what the action is rated for in pressure and yes, I know it was chambered for the 7 X 57 Mauser but that was a lower pressure cartridge than what we normally think of the 7 X 57 being today. Probably wisest to hold it to one of the lower pressure cartridges.

Years ago I had a Pedersoli roller in 45-70 and as with yours, that flippin' barrel weighed as much as the rear axel out of a deuce and a half. I never did like that rifle and suspect it is what soured me on rollers....and that's a shame, they're a cool rifle!

Reactions: Kweeksdraw

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
I was planning on changing out the barrel regardless it literally weighs a metric ton! I never that about the extractor being an issue, maybe I could have the barrel turned and have a gunstock made.
You could have the barrel re profiled and/or shortened and re crowned to shed some weight off the muzzle end, is it tapered or straight octagon and how long is it?

I recently built a Sharps in .45-70 and I tapered the barrel from 1 inch at the breech to 7/8ths at the muzzle, even with it's 30" barrel length it balances just forward of the action, it handles well and feels good holding it offhand.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the action and after market barrel worth roughly? I paid around 100

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
What's the action and after market barrel worth roughly? I paid around 100
Value depends on condition, you'd need to create a thread in ask the pros and what's it worth and put some good quality photo's for anyone to give you a good estimate on value.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The .450 Bushmaster will not work in a rolling block with out some insane extractor work.
The old rollers were first designed for a rimed cartridge and the last Model 5 Remington was designed for the 7x57.
There is also the small problem of chamber pressure. The .450 Bushmaster may very well be too hot.
The next Roller I will be working on will be chambered for the 357 Maxim cartridge.
This way I can use 38spl , 357mag and 357 Max all in the same rifle.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
And be sure to keep it away from screwballs like me! I'd love to have a Remington Rolling Block (drool, drool) Along with the Sharps and the Trapdoor Springfields those are the coolest rifles ever built.

They did produce a lot of those in 7X57mm Mauser. A conversion like that shouldn't be very hard to do.

·
Administrator
11,439 Posts
i bought one at a garage sale, it was simply the action and barrel in 45-70. I'm not a fan of 45-70 and was curious if a gunsmith could covert this over to 450 bushmaster easily or is it not worth it. I'll add the current octagon barrel is not original.(so I wouldn't be screwing up a gem by any means)
Post some pics

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll probably keep as is after thinking about it. Maybe sell or have a stock up on it. I don't like haveing this given I'd need "trapdoor" loads for it.... that's scary given I'd be the only one in the house who'd know that.

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
Boy howdy could I do a number on that one, but I just don't have the inclination to build a second .45-70. ;)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
What you have is one of the most desirable Remington actions for doing custom work. I do believe it is the last and strongest of the remington rolling blocks. ( please correct me if I am wrong)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What you have is one of the most desirable Remington actions for doing custom work. I do believe it is the last and strongest of the remington rolling blocks. ( please correct me if I am wrong)
Is that a number 6?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts