The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remington 700 .243 Winchester made in Ilion, NY

They say there is a letter/number code to figure this out. My rifle has nothing on the left side of the barrel. Pictures to follow. Also the screws/bolts holding the trigger guard on appear to be allen head bolts. Any help here??

20210103_195552.jpg

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
17,130 Posts
Have you taken it out of the stock, and looked on the left side below wood level?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Alpo!!

That's why I mentioned the allen head bolts. I don't know if I have any that size?

·
No Power Options
13,366 Posts
You have to love Remington. They reused letter and numerical over the years so you need to know features of a year or series before relying on codes.
Then Remington stopped coding for a few years around the late 90`s and started back in early 2000,s.
What a company????
lmao

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So nobody can give me an idea? Great

·
Registered
17,130 Posts
According to several sites on the internet, you can either call or write Remington and give them the serial number, and they will give you the date.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alpo has the best answer. Take it out of the stock to maybe find letter codes.
See my response about the allen head screws. I don't have any. :rolleyes:

I'm not exactly sure what the question is.
Date of manufacture (see OP) :)

I sent an e-mail to Remington & will try to call today

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
No Power Options
13,366 Posts
Don`t bother looking under the stock, Remington never hid them, my guess is they will tell you between 99-01 unless that exact serial number was logged when made and not delivered.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
It gets frustrating that you can call Remington and get the DOM from the serial number, but the database for the numbers must be top secret. Even with an inquiry, you have a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer. With the bankruptcy and sell off, I hope there is someone still there to answer your Email.
I dredged the internet to find any reference with your serial, it's all vague, and all over the place. A 5 digit serial with the E prefix "could be" 1984. I found one that was 7 digit like yours, with no barrel code stamp. that was "guessed at" 1996. That probably ties in with what LTS posted. I found this on the no barrel codes for the 700:
"On 8/9/99, stopped stamping the barrels with the date code. They continued to mark the date code on the end flap of the shipping box. They resumed stamping the date code on the barrel on 10/1/01."
IF you get an answer from Rem, let us know what they say.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
It gets frustrating that you can call Remington and get the DOM from the serial number, but the database for the numbers must be top secret. Even with an inquiry, you have a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer.
Not nearly as frustrating as trying to get ANYTHING on Thompson Center TCRs (not the new TCR 22s; the switch barrel rifles made between 1983 and 1992). No information on them at all. :mad: End of rant.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't forget your mask.
I have been wearing mine when going to local stores, but have been getting more annoyed that these &@#% sheep do ANYTHING their handlers tell them to do without any questions. No more. Jan 1 went to a couple of stores, mask in hand. Excuse me sir do you have a mask? Held it up for them to see, didn't wear it. I'm done with that krap.

I wish I knew someone that owned a bullhorn!! LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts