The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a big 22 shooter but have owned a few in my time. I bought this one back around 1985 or so and havent shot it for quite a while. I took it out of the safe yesterday and decided to tear it down and clean it and man was it nasty! I guess I have neglected this one for a long time...anyhow, I have it back in tip top shape and its shooting great!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
One of the finest .22 rifles made! It will shoot shorts, longs, and long rifle, mix them in the tube, and it works just fine!

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Nice looking stock!It doesn't look like you shot it much,there's no scratches or you kept good care of it.Very nice looking 22.It was made before they started putting so many plastic parts on all the new ones made now.I like it.This model is kind of high end and pricey now.I was looking at a speed master a couple of weeks ago brand new.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Almost 30 yrs old. I shot it alot back when I first got it, but its been in the safe for years not being shot much at all. It used to hang in my gun rack in the back window of my truck. Like I said, it was nasty dirty inside but I took care of that and lubed it up with silver bullet and took it out and ran a mag full of rounds thru it. Its really in great shape. I thought you guys might appreciate some pics of it...

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Nice 22 Dan. I shot a Remington Model 66 22LR today. It is my brother in laws rifle and it was a kick in the rear to shoot and pretty accurate.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Nice gun Dan.I have one too but its not checkered.Mine shoots really well.When I first got it I experimented with lots of different ammos.It functioned flawlessly with all but low vel target.CCI mini-mags were best in mine.For some reason I hardly shoot it much anymore.It deserves better.Thanks for the pics too. JOE

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Very nice gun! If it ever goes on the block, I would like a crack at it.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will die with this one in the safe.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh, you don't to keep it in the safe! You need to shoot with it, take care of it and shoot with it some more.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh, you don't to keep it in the safe! You need to shoot with it, take care of it and shoot with it some more.
Your right, but with so many ARs and so many 1911s, I very seldom shoot 22s...I do need to shoot it more though...I have a brand new 22mag with a scope I have never shot yet...

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
I shoot my rimfires far more than my others.I guess because I can do it at my house rather than going to the range.And I don't have to reload them when I'm done.Lack of re-supply of .22 ammo has reduced my shooting lately though. Joe

·
Super Moderator
28,034 Posts
That's a fine shootin little rimfire there. I've still got a 572 Fieldmaster that I picked up some 30+ years ago. I really enjoy plinking and squirrel hunting with it but at times wish I had found the 552. Don't let it be a safe queen, it really wants to be fed on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I shoot my rimfires far more than my others.I guess because I can do it at my house rather than going to the range.And I don't have to reload them when I'm done.Lack of re-supply of .22 ammo has reduced my shooting lately though. Joe
I can shoot whatever I want at my house, I guess thats why I seldom shoot rimfire...

·
Premium Member
19,860 Posts
I love shooting my rimfires. I save a lot of money shooting them. I always bring one of 2 to the range with my other guns.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have 6 ARs and one AK and I am mainly a pistol guy. I am down to 17 1911s now but I have a variety of poly pistols and revolvers as well. So, when I shoot, my passion is to shoot my 1911s mostly and then if I shoot rifles, I break out my ARs...so my 22 sits. I guess thats why I have sold so many of my 22s in the past...I have a couple 22 pistols too. They seldom get shot.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Very nice 552! I bought one awhile back from the local gun&pawn, and it was FILTHY! It was to the point it would not function. I stripped it down and cleaned it, and in doing so found a mangled Winchester .22LR still in the chamber! That worried me.
But after a total stripping, cleaning and refinishing, it looks good and shoots good! Function is 100% - you just can't keep them down, if you treat them well.
It looks like it was made in the fifties or sixties - haven't checked the date code yet.

<Does ANY pawnshop ever clean the guns they take in? I haven't bought one yet that wasn't dirty!>

·
Administrator
32,488 Posts
Very nice 552! I bought one awhile back from the local gun&pawn, and it was FILTHY! It was to the point it would not function. I stripped it down and cleaned it, and in doing so found a mangled Winchester .22LR still in the chamber! That worried me.
But after a total stripping, cleaning and refinishing, it looks good and shoots good! Function is 100% - you just can't keep them down, if you treat them well.
It looks like it was made in the fifties or sixties - haven't checked the date code yet.

<Does ANY pawnshop ever clean the guns they take in? I haven't bought one yet that wasn't dirty!>
Most of the rimfire rifles I've looked at in pawn shops are always dirty except the new ones.
The older rifles are usually pawned and never picked up so they go on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whats nice about these is you pop out 2 pins and drop out the action and you can soak it and blow it out with air and make it like new.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Most of the rimfire rifles I've looked at in pawn shops are always dirty except the new ones.
The older rifles are usually pawned and never picked up so they go on the shelf.
used to do a lot of side work for couple pawnshops,,, they wont pay to have them cleaned,, and only fix what it takes to make it safe.. unless it is something worth big bucks,,, they give $10 and sell for $150 min markup,, at least what i have seen,, BUTTT get to know them and they will barter ;) thats how i got most of mine, {didnt make much money, but lots of trade work :) }

1 - 20 of 20 Posts