The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be quite a fan of Remington SubSonics,not any more. I have found after a they become a year old or so their primers deteriorate and far too may misfires per brick,I have had at least 30 to 40 misfires.

I buy Winchester Sub Sonics or CCI Standard Velocity very few misfires & accuracy is more than good enough for me!:) Cliff

· Registered
79 Posts
I bought the 3 box limit of Remington Sub-Sonics at Walmart a few weeks ago. I was skeptical of their suitability to actually kill anything. Reading the ballistics I find a fast bullet drop past 50 yards. I was not sure what I was going to do with them so I used the first box for target practice. They did OK to 35 yards

Last night as I sat on my front porch I noticed a ground hog in my neighbors yard. There is a vacant 1 acre lot between us and my neighbors have moved to town some months ago. I guessed the distance from my porch to the ground hog at around 90 yards.

I put the cross hairs right on him, squeezed one off hitting him, as he tried to crawl back to his lair I hit him again, thats twice at that distance, I do not think the bullet drop is as radical as written on the box. The buzzards found him within 20 minutes. I've changed my mind about sub-sonics but will probably not buy them again if something a bit quicker is available.

I have read but can not confirm that when a super sonic bullet slows to sub sonic an unstableness occurs resulting in inaccuracy.

· Registered
3,434 Posts
I was surprised that the sub-sonics actually functioned in my semi-auto Armscor M1600. I usually shoot only high velocity in it as they say but had the rifle and the ammo so tried it out, it actually fed and ejected at a very good, steady rate, better than some of the high velocity stuff I've shot in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.