The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington XP-100, 221 Fireball that I am curious about the value. It has a 4-digit serial number 86XX and the same number is etched on the bottom-back of the bolt. It has a 7.5 Leupold scope and has never been used in competition, so there arer not a lot of rounds through it. It is awesome at 100 yards. I don't have any pics of it, seems to be synthetic stock or a type of plastic. I believe it was manufactured in the mid 60s. Any help or if you need more info, please let me know. Thanks Looper.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Just guessing here without pictures...but if it's a synthetic, wood-grain looking stock, it's a mid-grip.
.221 was dropped in 1985 when the XP switched from a standard 10.75" barrel .221 to the 14.5" length .223, so it has to be an early version.

The serial number should be longer than 4 digits though even on the early production models. The last 4 digits are repeated on the bolt to show that it's the correct bolt.
You can use the normal Remington BLACKPOWDERX date code to decipher the year.month of production.
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

Pre-'85 short-barrel XPs sell for around $500-600 in my area if they're in very good or excellent condition. A like new example might bring a bit more, but if condition drops they fall down into the $350-400 range or less.
Having the original Remington gun rug case and the manual might up the value a bit for the collectors too.

Can you post pictures to help us put a better value on it?

G

·
Just guessing here without pictures...but if it's a synthetic, wood-grain looking stock, it's a mid-grip.
.221 was dropped in 1985 when the XP switched from a standard 10.75" barrel .221 to the 14.5" length .223, so it has to be an early version.

The serial number should be longer than 4 digits though even on the early production models. The last 4 digits are repeated on the bolt to show that it's the correct bolt.
You can use the normal Remington BLACKPOWDERX date code to decipher the year.month of production.
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

Pre-'85 short-barrel XPs sell for around $500-600 in my area if they're in very good or excellent condition. A like new example might bring a bit more, but if condition drops they fall down into the $350-400 range or less.
Having the original Remington gun rug case and the manual might up the value a bit for the collectors too.

Can you post pictures to help us put a better value on it?
This is what they go for in my area as well. I have a buddy that has 3 22-250, 260, 35rem. Man they are great pistols.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The grip is mid and the barrel is 10.75. It is a 4 digit serial number and if I read the chart correctly, it was manufactured in Feb. of 1967. I'm not much with posting pics, if you need one, maybe I can figure something out. I don't think I would ever sell it, but I am curious as to its worth. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I do have to stand corrected on my earlier statement about the serial #s. Pre-'75 XPs will have a low serial #.
The 7-digit serial number sequence (75XXXXX, with or without a letter prefix) started in 1975.
Sorry bout that.

I don't know if anyone has a full cross reference of serial number to year for Remington since most guys use the two letter barrel code. hat's only helpful with the original barrel though

Glad tango could post Blue Book values for ya. I haven't kept a current copy of it around for a couple years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my brother has an xp-100 with serial number of 3503 (bolt number matches)...he got it for $150...from research it looks like it was made in March of 1963. Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The .221 caliber is kind of a bummer unless you don't mind reloading. Many of these have been rechambered for .223 to make them more practical.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
my brother has an xp-100 with serial number of 3503 (bolt number matches)...he got it for $150...from research it looks like it was made in March of 1963. Can anyone verify this?
Welcome to TFF! I still haven't found any definite cross-reference for the XP-100 year of manufacture. You should be able to decode the productionyear using the two-letter code on the rear of the barrel, just forward of the action. Use the BLACKPOWDERX chart in the link above.

The .221 caliber is kind of a bummer unless you don't mind reloading. Many of these have been rechambered for .223 to make them more practical.
You're right, the .221 used to be a stinker to find ammo for...at least up until a couple years ago.
Fairly recently, CZ chambered their 527 in .221 and one of the premium barnds (either Kimber or Dakota) also put that chambering on the lineup around the same time.
Here in ND and SD, .221 was available on the shelf at several of the local shops and even one of the midwest chain stores throughout the last ammo shortage BS. You hardly ever saw the stuff before CZ put that chambering in the catalog.

I still think the .221 would be a dandy little varmint carbine round. Sorta between the Hornet/Bee and .222/.223. Should be a great medium range cartridge.
One of these days, I'll either build or buy one so I can cross that off my project/wish list.
I'm just not so sure about this new.17/221 thing they introduced a couple years ago...I've never been a big fan of the .17 bores out here on the prairies. But at least it'll be a continued source of brass for the guys that have .221s

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not found what year my XP-100 in .221 was made but can tell you I bought it used sometime between 1966 and 1967. The guy I bought it from was trying to sell it for $60 (had a cheap scope/mount on it) to a guy working in the gun department at a department store. The guy wouldn't buy it from him, I followed him away from the counter and asked what his best price was he said $50. I thought about it for a while and bought it, $50 was quite a bit of money for me at the time and the gun sold new for $99.95.

I don't know how long he had owned it but the serial # is 1212 all matching. It has never had any paper on it before the GCA1968 and now I/m ready to sell. I do not remember all the coyotes that the .221 killed but a guess that it alone accounted for over 200. I hunted them every day when I was younger, bounty on them $3 for every set of ears. Longest shot from a sandbag on window 275 yds. paced twice using a Leopold M8-2x scope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts