Remote controlled sniper rifle?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/28/02 1:15:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Remote controlled sniper rifle?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In a article in "Newsweek" about the stand off between the Israelis and the Palestinians, passing reference was made to the use of "a remote controlled sniper rifle". Does the U.S. military have this type weapon? Can I get one at Walmart? Has any one here ever seen one?

Ken GFA
    (5/28/02 1:29:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Remote controlled sniper rifle?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Havnt heard about that but have you ever seen a weapon that has a LCD screen on it with all the whistles and bells?

93confirmedkills
    (5/28/02 9:45:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Remote Sniper System
    I believe what they speak of is called an OCWS. I could be wrong. It's being tested by a government contractor for the US now. I watched something about it on the Discovery Channel the other night. It can be fitted with any long arm. Laser range finder, camera, etc. The operator has a tv screen. The robot has a camera that looks down the barrell of large sighting scope. All the operator does is put the crosshairs on the screen on the target and fire.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/28/02 10:00:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Remote Sniper System
    Welcome Aboard 93confirmedkills!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/5/02 10:16:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Remote Sniper System
    hmmm... if they can put a shotgun on a Bomb Squad robot, no reason you couldn't do something similar with a 'sniper' piece.
    Cool.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/6/02 5:33:14 pm)
    Hi "93"....welcome to TFF, and expecially welcome to the HistoryNuts section.

Jump right in.....we have a lot of fun here.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/8/02 8:35:42 pm)
    There was a movie on TV not long back...titled "The Jackal" based on a Frederick Forsythe book. Bruce Willis and "pretty boy" Richard Gere. Willis had a remote controlled M-60 I believe...mounted in a van...camera, infra red, and the works. He only paid 50 k for it. Somebody go tell the guvment... maybe they kin get a two-fer deal with a volume purchase.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

alexinv
    (7/10/02 3:48:08 am)
    Way back in the '70s we were experimenting with a system to fire multiple weapons at the same instant, using an electric system of trigger actuators. The concept was based on a hostage situation with more than one bad guy holding more than one hostage. The concept was quite simple, each bad guy was being sighted by a sniper and all the sniper rifles would be attached to the "system" by wires connected to the trigger group, firing actuator. When command decided it was time to end the situation, a single firing sequence command was initiated, which sent impulse to all attached rifles, firing them at the same instant. Seemed like a good idea at the time, assuming all snipers were holding correctly on their targets when their rifles fired. I do not believe this system was ever put into use. Don't know if that is what you are refering to or not.. hope this was not a waste of your time.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/10/02 9:27:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Remote Sniper System
    alexinv,

Welcome to TFF I hope you stick around and enjoy the site
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/10/02 9:40:11 am)
    Seems to me, that any type of muti-fire sniper system would be doomed from the start. This would have to be based on each target remaing still (no moving) at all and in different locations. Ok, everyone be still for just a second............LTS

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/12/02 7:57:11 pm)
    Liketoshoot such a system could be set up in critical points. For instance near a trail or road thought to frequented by the enemy.