Removing the polyurethane

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wolfgang, May 9, 2009.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Hi , I require some advise , I have a set of vintage checkered pistol grips that the former owner Polyurethaned , is there a safe way to remove the polyurethane without damaging the checkering ??

2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I believe that paint stripper will soften Polyurethane coatings. Just check it out on the labels. Use a scrub brush carefully after applying the paint remover and letting it sit as per the directions on the container. It may take multiple applications as Polyurethane is tough stuff.

LDBennett

3. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    I have found the easiest way to remove Polyurethane is to use Acetone and a stainless steel wire brush. Both items can be bought reasonable at Wal-Mart and I let the grips sit in Acetone for an Hour before attempting to wire Brush off the Poly. It takes a little effort but it works well and the Acetone will Not harm the wood or checkering like some strippers can..Hammerdown

4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

It might be advisable to wear proper PPE's while using this product. You don't smoke, do you?

5. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello
    I have used it for years without a mask or PPE. I smoke and have smoked while using it, No problems so far, :DJust need to be careful to not drop a Hot ash in the acetone...:eek: Hammerdown

6. Monkey Hollow

Monkey Hollow Member

The acetone will work very well. One word of caution, though. Make sure that any acetone soaked rags are disposed of in a sealed air-tight container. Several hours after using, it is possible for the rags to spontaneously combust. A coffee can away from the house and any outbuildings works well for storage of rags until trash day.

7. Angryisme

Angryisme Member

learned that the hard way once when I left a rag soaked with something
    on the floor behind the seat in my car.

Went out for lunchtime at work and looked at my car froma distance and it looked like there was fog inside the car.
    It was the rag smoldering into the carpet. Some kinda reaction happened.
    Luckily, it only resulted ina burn hole about a foot round. And a terrible chemical smell that lingered in the car.

8. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

Use the softest metal brush you can get away with so you don't dull the checkering.
    Take your time, prep is everything.
    9 fingers