The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me the factory Hogue grip was oversized,clunky and ugly.I like the retro late 1980’s early 1990’s original grip much better.To bad It cost me $53 dollars to do so.Maybe Ruger sells one with the original style that comes with a new gun but I was happy just to find a GP-100 for sale right now priced right.
D9F860B4-6FB4-4C37-972B-5F7E87FEE9D7.jpeg
50D7CF59-E21E-4B85-943C-114BEEAFD79F.jpeg

I like the look of my new gun so much better now with original grips.It’s really accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I like the Hogue Grips.
Thank you. I have a Ruger GP100 with the Hogue grips. I absolutely love the Hogue grips. Perhaps a tad bit ugly, but wow, work like a champ. Truly helps control the very manageable recoil. So, once again, I agree completely with you.

fullsizeoutput_ec7.jpeg

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I've been bitten (pun intended) by replacing factory grips before. My wife's Smith 642 that she bought 16 years ago had the slim factory grips on it. I put longer and stickier Pachmayrs on it. While it felt better in your hands, while shooting it, she complained that the rubber kind of tore at her hands. We put the factory grips back on. So, sting or tear, there was no win for her. Those Hogues do look comfortable, but the retro grips look like more of what I'm used to seeing on the GP100s.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
To me the factory Hogue grip was oversized,clunky and ugly.I like the retro late 1980’s early 1990’s original grip much better.To bad It cost me $53 dollars to do so.Maybe Ruger sells one with the original style that comes with a new gun but I was happy just to find a GP-100 for sale right now priced right.
View attachment 253134 View attachment 253135
I like the look of my new gun so much better now with original grips.It’s really accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
Sweet looking weapon. Good find.

·
Registered
113 Posts
flyingtiger, My GP100 came with the factory wood grips, but I tried a couple different Hogue rubber grips too, including the type in your photo. The Hogue "Tamer" grips are a little smaller than those in your photo, and really do moderate recoil. I'm currently using the older factory style like yours, just because they reduce length of pull between back strap and trigger, to more closely approximate my S&W 686.
10MM (2).JPG

·
Registered
25 Posts
View attachment 253134
Just list your Houge grips on eBay and they will sell. Check the 'sold' feature of eBay for that model og Houges and you can see the range they sold for. That helps you set a price. Ignore the lower end sold grips since the seller didn't know what they were worth. Pick a price near the highest price sold and wait. You can always drop the selling price a couple of dollars each week until they sell.

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
I started to make these inserts for my SP101 but still haven’t finished them. Trying to do it all by hand I got the mounting holes off a bit.

05C833BE-EBAB-45B4-BA60-9F3E3A87B79A.jpeg
7FE20FA4-B8FB-45D3-83F3-520C58AAAFE7.jpeg

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just list your Houge grips on eBay and they will sell. Check the 'sold' feature of eBay for that model og Houges and you can see the range they sold for. That helps you set a price. Ignore the lower end sold grips since the seller didn't know what they were worth. Pick a price near the highest price sold and wait. You can always drop the selling price a couple of dollars each week until they sell.
Great idea I think I will do that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had several different grips on my factory DAO GP-100 and though they are almost impossible to find these days, I love the Uncle Mikes grips I found on Ebay for mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts