The Firearms Forum banner

Researching an inherited Steyr-Schoenauer

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  seawship 
#1 ·
Would like to learn all I can about this beautiful rifle I inherited from my Grandfather several years ago... Markings include: Oesterr. Waffenfabr.- Ges Steyer Schoenauer Kal 8x60 Magnum, and has two marks, one is an Austrian crest (?) and the other I can't make out. It appears to begin beautiful condition. Very much appreciate any and all information I can get. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
sea, first off welcome to the Forum. I'll tell you what I can about your rifle.

It is a very desirable firearm especially with the original scope and rings. I can't make out the name of the scope and am sadly a little unfamiliar with German/Austrian optics other than they are nearly always of excellent quality. The various M/S sporting rifles were offered in both full stock, (Mannlicher) and half stock with the half stock seeming to be a bit more uncommon. Some half stocks one sees have been cut back from the full stock version but I am unable to ascertain if yours has been the victim of such butchery. I truly hope not. It is chambered in a somewhat rare cartridge for the M/S, (Mannlicher/Schoenauer). It was proofed in Vienna, (Wien), and there should be a date code along with other proofs on the barrel under the stock. Dismounting the barreled action and pictures of the rest of the proofs will provide additional information. The rifle was designed by Ferdinand Ritter von Mannlicher and the rotary magazine by Otto Schoenauer and in sporting guise was first introduced in 1903 chambered for the 6.5 X 54 M/S cartridge. It has often been called the smoothest bolt action rifle ever made and I agree with that statement. My 1903 operates like wet glass. Later rifles were also designated by the year, 1905, '08 and '10, same as the 1903 and chambered to different cartridges. The rotary magazine is usually quite specific as to the cartridge length and bullet nose configuration for proper operation and is faultless when so used. Yours should post date WWI as the 8 X 60 and 8 X 60 Magnum, (there was two iterations of the cartridge), were not introduced until after "The Great War". It is simply the classic 8 X 57 Mauser lengthened 3 mm and proofed with either the Normal powder charge or the Magnum charge. The groove diameter is probably .318 but one should slug the bore to be certain. It could be .323 as both groove diameters were still in use. Cases are easily made from 30-06 brass simply full length sized, necked up and trimmed to length. Normal bullet weight is 180 grains. Performance is excellent, equaling the 30-06 in the normal guise and exceeding it in the Magnum. The normal cartridge exits the bore at approximately 2740 fps generating slightly over 3000 fpe. and better in the Magnum loading. RWS ballistics are slightly higher.

There is a board member, Marblekonus, who lives in Saxony and whose knowledge of German/Austrian firearms exceeds mine. Hopefully he will see this and chime in and correct me where I may be in error.

Congratulations on your excellent acquisition. An approximation of value can be found on the various gun auction sites. It should be significant.

#4 ·
THANKS for the information!

Exellent hunter's rifle, Mannlicher-Schönauer Cal. 8 x 60mm Magnum, manufactured between 1919 - 1926 by "Österreichische Waffenfabrik Gesellschaft Steyr" (Austrian gun factory association, Steyr).
The complete engraving on the receiver is: Made in Austria, Patent, Mannlicher-Schönauer, Kal. 8 x 60 Magnum. A part of this you can't see due rear basic of scope. Adjustable double trigger, scope Zeiss, Jena (Germany) Zielsechs (6x) very good scope, mounted by "Suhler Einhakmontage" ( best of all systems).
NPv over eagle is the proof mark for smokeless nitro powder, proof house Vienna, Austria.
I've seen a gun like this for sale without scope for a lot of money $3.500.00 (Willoughby McCabe & Co., Dallas), and the value of the scope is aproximately € 500.-, unbelievable in Germany and Austria.
Thank you very much for the response!

Sir, any advice how I should go about having it checked out for serviceability, and where I might obtain ammo for it? Would love to be able to use this for hunting.

#3 · (Edited)
Exellent hunter's rifle, Mannlicher-Schönauer Cal. 8 x 60mm Magnum, manufactured between 1919 - 1926 by "Österreichische Waffenfabrik Gesellschaft Steyr" (Austrian gun factory association, Steyr).
The complete engraving on the receiver is: Made in Austria, Patent, Mannlicher-Schönauer, Kal. 8 x 60 Magnum. A part of this you can't see due rear basic of scope. Adjustable double trigger, scope Zeiss, Jena (Germany) Zielsechs (6x) very good scope, mounted by "Suhler Einhakmontage" ( best of all systems).
NPv over eagle is the proof mark for smokeless nitro powder, proof house Vienna, Austria.
I've seen a gun like this for sale without scope for a lot of money $3.500.00 (Willoughby McCabe & Co., Dallas), and the value of the scope is aproximately € 500.-, unbelievable in Germany and Austria.

#5 ·
With that rifle any decent gunsmith or a knowledgeable gun store owner should be able to tell you.

Ammo...yea, right. I've been handloading for over 50 years so my knowledge of what's available or where isn't very good, quite poor actually. I form the odd cases I need. I briefly looked on line and found some brass. It isn't as expensive as the 9.3 X 82R I use in some reforming but "it ain't cheap". If you don't handload then you're going to have to find someone to load it for you.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/390597/quality-cartridge-reloading-brass-8x60mm-s-mauser-box-of-20

I did find some ancient 8 X 60 Patronen...and dadgummed if I can find it back. I don't believe I'd use or recommend it anyway.

If you have a friend or acquaintance who is an advanced handloader the cases can be made from the plentiful 30-06 brass.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm a bit late to the party, but I believe your rifle is a Mannlicher Schoenauer M1924 variant.

The Sequoia was a Model 1924 imported to the U.S. by Stoeger in .30-06 caliber. They were expensive, did not sell well, and many were returned to Steyr to be reconfigured to other calibers for sale in Europe.

The dovetailed front claw mount for a scope has obliterated the part of the roll stamp that would say;

Made In Austria
Patent
Mannlicher - above where you can still see;
Schoenauer
Kal 8X60
Magnum - on yours

Factory reconfigured Sequoias had the 'Kal.' designation rolled over the 'M1924' designation. Several calibers were built on M1924 style actions (known as M1924/1925) and were identified (as yours) by the 'Kal" designation. The 1924 / 1925 actions were longer than those of the 1903/05/08/10, but not as large as on the 'postwar' models.

Known calibers of original M1924/1925 include:
.30-06
7X57
7X64
8X57js
8X60s
9.3X62
10x68

'Magnum' designated examples are more valuable.
If you ever see an original 10.75x68, buy it at once!

The previous Mannlicher Schoenauer models were caliber - specific (if original, not modified or custom built):

M1903 - 6.5x54mm
M1905 - 9X56mm
M1908 - 8x56mm
M1910 - 9.5X57mm
M1924 (Sequoia) .30-06

It's a lovely rifle you've got there, and the stock looks 'right' to me for an MS rifle.
(I own a M1910 in the 'Take Down' version)

When you take her out for some shooting, you're in for a treat.

By the way, have you looked in the trap door of your buttstock? It may contain an original set of cleaning rods, even a pair of follow up cartridges.

Enjoy,
BR.

#7 ·
Thank you very much for the add'l information Rothhammer1! Unfortunately, nothing was in the stock. And even more unfortunately, I still haven't shot it. Want to have a good local 'smith clean it up and check it it out first, but haven't been able to make the time to seek one out yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.