Residence vs Property Owner vs Shooting

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by drymag, Jul 18, 2020.

1. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I am a Washington state resident, but I own property in Wyoming that abuts national forestry to the north. Can I shoot on my own property aiming north (as long as I put up a backstop since the trees block the visibility?

2. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I don't see why not. Go for it.

2A-Jay, drymag, flboots and 1 other person like this.

3. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

What does the NF have to do with it? Can't you shoot on your own property?

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

5. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

You should be able to do that in Wyoming as long as it is safe to do so. You may want to check and make sure you are not part of an incorporated town limit that could prohibit shooting, most do. Also, place appropriate warning signs and no trespassing signs on your property limits. You will need to be very careful who you let use the range and should discuss with your insurer what they would or would not cover.

Just like owning a swimming pool places increased liability issues with property owners, your own range would I suspect encumber those same sort of liability issues and perhaps even more so.

Nevertheless, I have always wanted a little piece of property where I could set up my own range. I guess in another lifetime especially now that property values in Northern Idaho are out of this world. My wife and I by God's grace just paid off our house mortgage over a month ago and putting away a that money from our monthly budget into savings. We toyed with the idea of getting a plot of land where we could hang out, camping and such as well as shooting, but the prices per acre have jumped through the moon the last 4-5 years.

I have been having discussions with my 32 yo son who was born after much of the freedoms I grew up had disappeared. When I was a kid in Alaska, we shot just about anywhere we wanted and probably even within some of the "city limits" of Nome. (Not much of a city especially in the 1960's) I see it hasn't changed that much and only has about 3000 people compared to about 2000 when I was up there.

But I miss just finding a place to set up targets about anywhere you wanted and start shooting. The freedoms God granted us have disappeared and seemingly overnight.

Your place in Wyoming sounds like a great place for you and your family to enjoy it safely.

God bless and of course pictures once it is up and going.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    SPQR70AD, 2A-Jay, sharps4590 and 4 others like this.
  6. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Yep what those other fellas said.

2A-Jay, drymag and Alaska444 like this.
  7. tuckerd1

Is your property for sale? I would like to have land adjacent to a NF.

8. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I want to do long range and it's only a 40 acre chunk. I'll actually be placing the round in the NF.

Wahoo. Congrats. The breathing room has to be great.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2020
    2A-Jay, joe45c, flboots and 2 others like this.
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

10. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

No, it's been in the family since grandparents. My brother and I pay taxes on it and rarely visit it. Figured on leaving it for the son. And we of course hope he leaves it to his 2 kids and so on. I've been wanting to get out there more often and do some shooting. Hope to do some camping for a week or two. Need to findout how out of staters coming from a high covid area is managed. Logistics is a pain.

2A-Jay, joe45c, Winchester94 and 2 others like this.
  11. tuckerd1

I am camped in Aladdin, WY this week. Covid has not been a concern for me.

2A-Jay, BlackEagle, drymag and 3 others like this.
  12. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You can shoot on most FS land. There are some areas that are closed if it is close to housing.
    Depending on what part of Wyoming it’s in, I’d be glad to go try it out for you.:)

2A-Jay, joe45c, drymag and 4 others like this.
  13. Rae Harrison

Rae Harrison Well-Known Member

You have property in Wyoming? And your still in Washington?

2A-Jay, drymag, Broot and 7 others like this.
  14. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Aladdin, now that’s my kind of town. :)

drymag, Alaska444 and tuckerd1 like this.
  15. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

Is it legal to shoot on your own property/ Probably I would do it if the local laws allowed it. Keeping it safe will be your responsibility. Always keep the neighbors in mind as far as noise levels & hours you shoot. Remember if you as a gun owner do something crazy, anti gunners look at it as all gun owners do that, so be civil with your fun.

2A-Jay, drymag and Alaska444 like this.