The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading and having issue resizing 7.62x51 M80 brass using Lee 308 die. Brass will go to die but when I check with case gauge top will never be flush .Brass is properly lubricated and brass length is less than maximum length. Live 7.62x51 will go in to gauge and top will be flush with gauge. I am definitely doing something wrong and will appreciate help.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Can you use a caliper and tell us what is the actual case length? Is this new or once fired brass?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
972 Posts
Before you put the brass in the resizing die, what length are they?
When you resize them, they will lengthen, slightly, perhaps enough to need trimming. Factory brass may simply be cut to a different (longer) length, and cut to a specification that may not require sizing before loading. The fact that your brass doesn't exhibit the same behaviour in the sizing die as a loaded round is not necessarily a cause for concern.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
So the the Max Case length should be 2.015 and the recommended Trim-to-Length is 2.005. Looks like you are in the acceptable range.

·
Super Moderator
47,187 Posts
I am new to reloading and having issue resizing 7.62x51 M80 brass using Lee 308 die. Brass will go to die but when I check with case gauge top will never be flush .Brass is properly lubricated and brass length is less than maximum length. Live 7.62x51 will go in to gauge and top will be flush with gauge. I am definitely doing something wrong and will appreciate help.
What kind of case length gauge are you using? If the mouth of your brass is in between the two "steps" that are in most gauges, then you are OK, no matter what it is with the bullet seated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could need to bump the shoulder a bit more. Lower your sizing die about an eighth of a turn and see if it gets any better.
I tried even half turn and no luck.

What kind of case length gauge are you using? If the mouth of your brass is in between the two "steps" that are in most gauges, then you are OK, no matter what it is with the bullet seated.
Using Hornady gauge and the bottom is above the lines. Here is a picture.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,903 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I had the same problem with my Lee Full Length sizing die. No matter what I did it would not push the brass up far enough in the sizing die to get the right length to the shoulder. So I ground the shell holder down about .025" to make more adjustment room to get the brass up farther in the sizing die.
This is the #2 shell holder before I ground on it.

This is what it measures after the grinding.

They fit the case gauge now.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Uhm...sorry to be so late in bringing this up, but I re-read your thread title. You ARE talking about 7.62x51 Nato, right? I'm not aware of a 7.65x51, but there WAS a service cartridge designated 7.65x53 Mauser. We're NOT talking about THAT round, correct?

·
Super Moderator
47,187 Posts
Uhm...sorry to be so late in bringing this up, but I re-read your thread title. You ARE talking about 7.62x51 Nato, right? I'm not aware of a 7.65x51, but there WAS a service cartridge designated 7.65x53 Mauser. We're NOT talking about THAT round, correct?
Oh wow, good eye, I never paid any attention to the title. The first post does say 7.62!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts