The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening folks, I’ve been reloading for a number of years now, and have recently decided to start casting. After talking to several friends, as well as some folks on other forums, I’m getting the feeling that many don’t use any type of respirator. I understand that being outside or in a very well ventilated area, and keeping your fingers out of your mouth, as well as not smoking are critical. If I do choose to use a mask as my wife insists, what would be the best way to go without breaking the bank? From what I can tell, the P100 half face respirators are the way to go, but I really don’t know for sure. Any links to a 3M mask on Amazon, or just the mask model number would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
when i started casting i had similar questions. after reading a lot about the process the above information is correct. BUT i rolled over for my wife and got a respirator. waste of money! i get my blood checked for lead every year, and there is none. i can not stand to wear the respirator and it is in a forgotten storage location. do not forget the handling of cast lead bullets after casting lubing loading ect,and yet no lead in the blood. what does that tell you? i do wash my hands with dawn dish soap several times a day just because they are dirty. everything about gun cleaning and brass handling needs clean-up.

rick

·
Registered
38 Posts
Evening folks, I’ve been reloading for a number of years now, and have recently decided to start casting. After talking to several friends, as well as some folks on other forums, I’m getting the feeling that many don’t use any type of respirator. I understand that being outside or in a very well ventilated area, and keeping your fingers out of your mouth, as well as not smoking are critical. If I do choose to use a mask as my wife insists, what would be the best way to go without breaking the bank? From what I can tell, the P100 half face respirators are the way to go, but I really don’t know for sure. Any links to a 3M mask on Amazon, or just the mask model number would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance!
Just keep the heat under 1000deg. And your safe

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Back in the 80s the American Rifleman did an article on lead, lead casting and the dangers. Because of that I stayed away from it mostly because of the young children in the house at the time even though I was collecting wheel weights for a rainy day. Also, one of the regulars who repaired radiators in a local shop had to change jobs after having his blood tested for lead and finding the levels to be high.

I really wasn't believing anything being said here until Mudman said he had his blood tested every year for lead and none was found. Then again, with all of us being "deplorables" maybe there is something to it :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
casting temps are different for most of us. some are just over melt, i like to get closer to frosted drops. i said close, and that is around 700 o. i am using a ped controlled RCBS 20 # pot. and love it. others use a lot of different equipment and i am sure are very happy with it. "whatever floats your boat"
have fun figuring out what you like, it can take a bit of time, and money.

rick

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Back in the 80s the American Rifleman did an article on lead, lead casting and the dangers. Because of that I stayed away from it mostly because of the young children in the house at the time even though I was collecting wheel weights for a rainy day. Also, one of the regulars who repaired radiators in a local shop had to change jobs after having his blood tested for lead and finding the levels to be high.

I really wasn't believing anything being said here until Mudman said he had his blood tested every year for lead and none was found. Then again, with all of us being "deplorables" maybe there is something to it :unsure:
thanks for the mention. about thirty years ago i was not into reloading but my friend started i went with him to a Dillion re loader and one of the people said they did the blood test for lead on a regular basis, and that has stuck with me, so i think it is a smart thing to do. no charge to me from med-a-care. i do have to ask to have it done.

rick

·
Registered
19,290 Posts
no respirator here either.. no gloves when casting.. usually in shorts and a shirt and a pair of hol-e deck shoes.. out on the porch. If I'm smelting scrap to ingots I'll use gloves and a propane cooker and big lead ladle.. but for just bullets.. nada.. and I don't set over the pot an inhale either.. I'm using a bottom pour pot.. so I set back a bit and in front of it. I don't eat or drink while casting.. and shower afterwards.. I have had a lead test since I've been casting.. still showed background..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My family doctor is a reloader and cast bullets . He told me years ago when I asked him health questions on it . He said as long good air moving and wash hands when done your pretty safe . It's like been said just don't suck on them !!
Thanks, I’m getting the same info from several folks as well. Our MD reloads as well, and will have him speak to my wife
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
I've been casting for decades and never have used a respirator. May not have been a good idea, though. I worked a recruiting booth for my old Gun Club. One of the guys that I recruited with was a long time caster. He told me that he had developed cancer from casting lead bullets. I don't know for sure if he had it from casting or something else - but that was what he told me.

Just thought that I'd throw that out for consideration. To wear a respirator or not is like choosing whether or not to smoke.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts