The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The rust pitting/cancer is probably the worst I have ever seen. Looks like it almost ate it's way through the barrel where the chamber enters the receiver. Looks dangerous to me. Might not be though, I'm no metallurgy expert.
Where the chamber enters the receiver is almost not affected at all I don't know what you are seeing there. the worst looking part of the barrel is just past the gas ports and as bad as it looks and that is the deepest pit the depth of the pit is actually no deeper than the thickness of a business card. Before I cleaned it up I thought that area might go through. but it ended up being alot shallower than I thought it was. This is definitely the worst looking gun I have ever had the pleasure of making usable again. Before this the worst one I cleaned up was my 870 I bought that had been buried underground.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Consider Duracoat. It’s applied from a spray can and doesn’t need to be baked on like Cera-Coat which is usually done by gunsmiths which you’ll have find one in your area and ask what they would charge. Duracoat cost about $60.00 per spray can. There is also Aluma-Hyde 2 from Brownells for about $18.00 per spray can. All of these are epoxy paints.

I was going to suggest buying a replacement barrel, but after looking online, you probably wouldn’t want to pay what 1100 barrels are selling for anywhere from $260-$400. Some Remington stuff got really expensively priced after they filled for bankruptcy and people were speculating that they would be completely out of business. Now that Remington was bought, the prices mite come back down.

If you need some internal parts such as trigger/hammer components if those parts became unreliable because of the heavy rust, look online at Numrich, www.gunpartscorp.com who have in stock new and used trigger group parts. The reason I bring this up is that the 1100 is a semi-auto shotgun and it could full auto slam fire if any trigger group components such as the sear or disconnector are not in spec do to the rust. I once saw a 1100 go full auto slam fire do to a faulty disconnector. The cartridge it slam fired on ruptured the brass base which blew the bolt back before it fully lock in battery. Debris from the ruptured cartridge peppered the guys right hand, but he was lucky to be waring leather winter gloves. I’m not trying to scare you, but it’s something you have to consider do the condition of your shotgun.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Consider Duracoat. It’s applied from a spray can and doesn’t need to be baked on like Cera-Coat which is usually done by gunsmiths which you’ll have find one in your area and ask what they would charge. Duracoat cost about $60.00 per spray can. There is also Aluma-Hyde 2 from Brownells for about $18.00 per spray can. All of these are epoxy paints.

I was going to suggest buying a replacement barrel, but after looking online, you probably wouldn’t want to pay what 1100 barrels are selling for anywhere from $260-$400. Some Remington stuff got really expensively priced after they filled for bankruptcy and people were speculating that they would be completely out of business. Now that Remington was bought, the prices mite come back down.

If you need some internal parts such as trigger/hammer components if those parts became unreliable because of the heavy rust, look online at Numrich, www.gunpartscorp.com who have in stock new and used trigger group parts. The reason I bring this up is that the 1100 is a semi-auto shotgun and it could full auto slam fire if any trigger group components such as the sear or disconnector are not in spec do to the rust. I once saw a 1100 go full auto slam fire do to a faulty disconnector. The cartridge it slam fired on ruptured the brass base which blew the bolt back before it fully lock in battery. Debris from the ruptured cartridge peppered the guys right hand, but he was lucky to be waring leather winter gloves. I’m not trying to scare you, but it’s something you have to consider do the condition of your shotgun.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions I have at this point shot around 150 rounds through it. heavy and light loads steel and lead and I did fully disassemble every piece clean lubricate and inspect it before reassembling it. I also had to find an action spring that would work considering sage hadn't made this shotgun for the fbi and border patrol since the 80s I was able to have a conversation with the owner of sage and they actually had the springs custom made for the gun. I bought several springs and what actually worked was a beretta xtenda spring. I may end up getting another barrel for it as I plan to use this gun for skeet and the current barrel choke may be to open for that.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts