reticle alignment

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Bob Alb, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Bob Alb

Bob Alb New Member

I had a scope mounted on my rifle and noticed that the reticle seems to not be aligned level and perpendicular to the gun. Will this affect the accuracy of the gun or can I adjust the height and windage normally to zero the gun?

2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you payed to have the scope mounted take it back. If it was free don't worry about it. The accuracy will not be affected but to move the bullet on the target in only one direction you may have to move both the elevation and windage knobs (adjustments). It might get to be confusing when you are zeroing the rifle (??).

LDBennett

3. BillP

BillP New Member

In addition to having to play games with the windage and elevation knobs to adjust a canted scope, it can cause other problems as well. First of all if you are like me, it will eventually drive you nuts and shrinks are expensive. Also, your natural tendency to level the scope will cause a minor offset between sights and the bore. It is critical that sights be aligned directly above the bore or all the laws of ballistics that make it possible to hit a target are affected.

Depending on how misaligned and the range, this may or may not be a problem. Your expectations of accuracy are certainly a factor. If you just want to hit a deer in the woods offhand, that's one thing. If you want to shoot one hole groups on the range or prairie dogs at 300 yards, that's another.

Just loosen the screws on the rings and line it up. Several aids are available if you need them. It's better to use locktight and just get these screws really snug than to over tighten them.

4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Mounting scopes is one of the things that have driven me mad over the years. You get it level, then tighten the mounts, and its off to one side. Then you loosen the mounts, set the scope level, re tighten, and its off the other side.

Why dont scope and mount manufacturers mark a TDC line?

5. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Recently one of the gun mags did an article on scope alignment. The bottom line was that a scope not aligned to the horizontal will really screw you up especially at distance. There are several gadgets you can buy to achieve but I have used a 6" spirit level to some success. You do need a flat on the rifle and a scope mounting base will do. Once the rifle is square then set the level on the top adjustment cap of the scope. Crude but effective.