Revoluntionary War era Muskets

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/16/02 1:20:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Revoluntionary War era Muskets
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My bosss, at the gunshop where I work part-time has a couple of muskets someone here may be interested, though I don't see a lot of comments about those old guns.

Anyway, a short description:

1. Charleyville Musket, 1774 to 1777, fair condition, 75 Caliber

2. Springfield Musket 1795 with 1838 Percussion conversion, fair condition, 69 Caliber, with short barrel (possibly Forager Model)

Personally, I would think the condition was better than "fair" on both of these, but he does not want to "mis-lead".

He has these listed on GB, or you can email him at:

gunsmith@brocksgunsmithinginc.com

He has a small web site, but does not list his personal guns there, however, they do some pretty great work. If you are in need of an outstanding "smith" you may want to check them out.

www.brocksgunsmithinginc.com

end of commercial,,

Stan H ,, nighthawk

"Those willing to give up freedom in exchange for security will soon discover they have neither"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/16/02 9:20:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Revoluntionary War era Muskets
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wish those were in my safe
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/16/02 10:09:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    He wouldn't happen to have any flintlocks would he? To me muskets are not the same thing - though I'm sure some are.

1886lebel
    (7/17/02 6:40:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Revoluntionary War era Muskets
    TallTLynn,

A Musket is a smoothbore shoulder arm which fires a round lead ball and either could be in a Flintlock or Percussion type of ignition system.

A Flintlock is a type of ignition system.

Patrick

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/17/02 6:57:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    That may be so 1886 - but I learned it as flintlock or percussion - so when someone says musket - all I do is get confused.

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/17/02 11:51:47 pm)
    TLynn

These two are all of the non-cartridge type guns he has for sale at this time.
    He had one "matchlock" (which is another category) but just sold it.

Stan H ,, nighthawk

"Those willing to give up freedom in exchange for security will soon discover they have neither"

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/4/02 12:43:52 am)
    T, if they are a real Charleville and 1795 Springfield, they are flintlocks, unless they got converted later to percussion.

Percussion didn't appear commercially until the 1820s...Forsyth invented fulminate ignition in I think 1807.

Charlevilles come in several marks, and were the main French issue musket all the time the French were in the new world and was the main musket we bought during the Revolution for our troops, although we probably used as many captured or stolen, or never-turned-in-from-pre-war-militia-use English Brown Besses.

The 1795 was one of the first US made Muskets, patterned after the Charleville, but "improved..." Keep in mind the French were going through their own Revolution at this time, and were not on good terms with us, so we had to find another source of issue weapons, even though our Army was only at about a total 80 officers and men at this time....

NightHawk, I doubt the 1795 is a "forager" model, but probably a standard model cut down later by it's civilian owner, they did that alot, kinda like a 18th century "sporterizing" job...makes you want to cry, but then it WAS their rifle, and I cry when I see hack jobs done on modern military rifles...

I don't think there is much use of the "forager" name until the age of the trapdoor Springfields, when they brought out a 20g shotgun version called the "Forager" for the troops to augment their rations. Until then most troops and officers used private purchased shotguns for hunting...
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

1886lebel
    (8/4/02 10:30:29 am)
    polishshooter,
    Actually it might not have been necessarily cut down by a civilian owner it could have been cut down by the military as at time the U.S. Army was copying the European Armies in that they were making variations of there standard Muskets for Engineers,Artillerists, and such.
    There are known variations of such weapons being cutdown by Springfield Armory at that time.
    Patrick

Vive La Belle France,Lebel y Poilu
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/5/02 12:25:42 am)
    Possible, but again, at the time, there wasn't very many "regulars" in the Army at that time, although they were starting to grow more, due to Indian troubles in the South and West. I'm not sure if the 1795 was ever so altered, officially.

I'd still bet it was cut by a civilian, that was a pretty popular thing to do. Maybe militia????But then again, most of the times civilians left the barrel long, just shortened and lightened the forestock. Yeah, it COULD be a service altered...but I still doubt it.

My Bro-in-Law has a Musket, a Harpers Ferry 1803 if I remember right, hanging over his mantle. It was a late percussion conversion, and it was obviously cut down by a civilian, actually a pretty nice job probably at the time, even if it's now just a rusty missing parts wallhanger.
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

nighthawksh
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/6/02 5:03:55 pm)
    Polishshooter

yea, the charleville is a flintlock,,

the springfield : "Springfield Musket 1795 with 1838 Percussion conversion,"

unknown about the "cutting" of the barrel

btw, I just posted this as a favor to my boss at my part time job. (Yea, I get paid to stand around, drink coffee, and talk about guns,,, life is good,,,)
    Stan H ,, nighthawk