The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Umm--no. Cylinder gap, gas cutting in a modern rifle cartridge, individually fitting and timing the replacement cylinders---lots of reasons why "no". They were somewhat popular in the mid 1800's when the propellant was black powder. There are some modern revolving rifles. Rossi Circuit Judge, Heritage 22 and Uberti makes a stretch 1873 revolver with 18" barrel and buttstock.
Curious---- you say " cheaper and easier to use if rifles could be revolvers and most of the problems could be fixed by a cylinder being used as a clip"
Now a question for you---most of what problems? Apparently you see several, please list and explain?
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Revolving rifles? No thanks, a box magazine will do all that and a lot better as well. (No to mention cheaper en probably lighter)

For revolvers you are looking for speed loaders or get your cylinder milled for moon clips. Way cheaper and easier than loose cylinders.
Or buy a revolver made for moon clips like the S&W 929.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Love my Circuit Judge. It would be my go-to in a perilous situation.
3 410s, followed by 2 45s
If that didn't do it, I'd surrender.
:)
If all that didn't do it, I doubt surrender would be an option. I'll stick with a tactical 12 gage & 9mm with 17 rounds.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Back in the 1860's Remington revolvers were fairly easy to switch cylinders rather than take time to load a cap n ball revolver in a battlefield scenario. The concept held over after the introduction of metallic cartridges briefly but top break and swing out cylinders made it obsolete by the 1870's You can see Clint Eastwood using a Remington revolver and swapping cylinders in it in the movie "Pale Rider". I had one of the Uberti reproductions of the Remington revolving carbine. You better not hold a revolving rifle or carbine the wrong way or the cylinder gap is going to to cause you a lot of pain at best and a trip to the hospital at the worst.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
In "The Outlaw Josie Wales" Mr. Eastwood showed how easy it is to swap cylinders in his 1860 Army revolvers. IIRC; American Arms mini revolvers don't have ejector rods, but quick change cylinders. So the concept is out there, just not popular (although I really enjoy my "moon clips}" for my 2" revolver)...

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I'm not saying swapping cylinders didn't happen but it wasn't done by very many if it was done at all. There's no written record of it, there's no photographic record and there's no archaeological record of it. Civil War guerillas carried from four to six revolvers. Colt Patersons came with an extra cylinder and there were a few cased sets with an extra cylinder but they were collector pieces. Each cylinder had to be fitted to the gun. You didn't just pick up a cylinder and have it work perfectly.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
In "The Outlaw Josie Wales" Mr. Eastwood showed how easy it is to swap cylinders in his 1860 Army revolvers. IIRC; American Arms mini revolvers don't have ejector rods, but quick change cylinders. So the concept is out there, just not popular (although I really enjoy my "moon clips}" for my 2" revolver)...
Eastwood's character in "Josie Wales" didn't swap cylinders, he grabbed another loaded pistol out of his waist band. IIRC he carried at least four Colt revolvers. It isn't easy to swap cylinders in a Colt revolver, you have to partially disassemble the gun to do it.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
There is an early episode of Bonanza where Little Joe is using a Colt conversion in a fight scene. It shows him breaking down the revolver several times to reload. Once he reloaded it and reloaded it again without firing a shot.

·
11,847 Posts
Eastwood's character in "Josie Wales" didn't swap cylinders, he grabbed another loaded pistol out of his waist band. IIRC he carried at least four Colt revolvers. It isn't easy to swap cylinders in a Colt revolver, you have to partially disassemble the gun to do it.
In Pale Rider he swapped cylinders.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I confess to be really intrigued by the concept of the Six12 modular shotgun. I'd happily settle for just the bullpup version but the one that can be altered and mounted to a AR rail as a breaching tool seems really cool. Too bad it's only offered to police and military, from what I've seen.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
In Pale Rider he swapped cylinders.
See post 8 Ted. :) In Pale Rider, Preacher had Remington revolvers not Colt revolvers. On a Remington you don't have to dismount the barrel from the frame to remove the cylinder. You lower the loading lever and slide the cylinder pin forward.

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
Cost wise magazines for a semi auto are over all cheaper then making cylinders . Bought 4 extra 1911 mags for $10 awhile back . Granted they weren't top line but been working fine . Had to replace the cylinder for a cap and ball revolver once think it cost $30 . And I think moon clips would be faster then swapping cylinders in most modern revolvers but I don't have much experiance with them . My Webley MK VI can be reloaded very fast with moon clips .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts