Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Revolver ID

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Buckshot, May 7, 2009.

1. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I'm hoping someone can tell me what this is. It is a large double-action revolver. It looks kind of like the early Webleys, but the barrel is round, not slab-sided. It has a rather complicated crane, AND it has a thumb safety! Unlike the one found on the Webley-Fosberry, it is pivots at the back end like modern thumb safeties. It seems to be fully functional. It is almost completely patina'd, but is otherwise in very good condition. There is a groove in the sideplate from the movement of the safety. It is about .44 caliber (I have not measured it.) There are no markings of any kind anywhere on the gun. A value would be great, but at this point I'd settle for finding out what it is! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

It's a Gasser revolver or a spin off of it. There were lots of copies. Is ther any markings in yours?

3. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Well-Known Member

Looks very similar, particularly the hammer, to late 19th century British Bulldog revolvers, which were made by MANY companies. Most are cheaply made and of little value. Yours may be the obsolete .450 round. Google "British Bulldog" and then click "Images" and you'll see what I mean.

4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Well-Known Member

Actually, Google "British bulldog revolver" instead of "British bulldog" unless you like canines.

5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Look for the ELG in a circle Liege, Belgium proofmark on rear face of cylinder: If found and there's a crown on top of the circle, made after 1892.

6. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Thanks for the responses. I don't think there's much doubt about it being a British Bulldog variant (of which there are many.) The grip frame has a different shape, but otherwise there are too many similarities. I just haven't been able to find any reference whatsoever to that thumb safety. It may not be worth much dollar-wise, but a revolver with a thumb safety is an oddity to say the least.

7. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Ursus,

Although I think it resembles the Bulldog family much more closely than the Gassers, I DID find one image of a Gasser variant with a thumb safety! The resemblance pretty much ends there though. Thanks for the info! :)

8. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

As for markings, there are none at all visible anywhere, including under the grip panels. I did not however move the cylinder, so I still need to check the rear face and any other area revealed when the cylinder is moved. I'll have to get back to you on that. (It actually belongs to a friend.) Thanks again.

9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Are you sure there's no proofmark?
    The side safety was pretty common on turn of century Belgian and German solid frame revolvers. Your gun is more a copy of the 1883 German "Reichs" revolver than of a Bulldog, and the 11mm German round may be what it's chambered for. Here's some very similar examples in the 1911 ALFA catalog, listed as "Military Revolvers"

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  10. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Wow, that center model is by far the closest image I've seen yet. I'll have to take another look for a proof mark. Thanks!

11. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

It looks like hrf is really close

12. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Yep, lose that curleycue under the trigger guard and round off the front sight and it's the spittin' image. Nice work. I'll check again for proof marks when I'm able and we'll put this one to bed. Thanks everyone.