The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I don't know, I've heard both good and bad reactions to it. I'm really considering it, though. I've heard that the newer ones, since they're made in Brazil, the quality control just isn't there. But it's like anything. I know I could get one that's just fine. I'm so on the fence about it. I'm glad to hear one more good review, though, so thanks for that.
Sorry, Dudette!!

Go to the gun store and work the action on a stainless and a blued version. The newer ones are smoother. If it isn't smooth enough off the shelf, then don't buy it. Taurus also makes the pump .357, but I don't know anything about them at all.

reviews at bottom of page

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry, Dudette!!

Go to the gun store and work the action on a stainless and a blued version. The newer ones are smoother. If it isn't smooth enough off the shelf, then don't buy it. Taurus also makes the pump .357, but I don't know anything about them at all.

reviews at bottom of page
I call everyone "dude", so no worries there!
Well, there's only one at one store in an hour radius, so if it's good, I may get it. If it's not good, won't it get smoother with more use? I forgot to ask if it was blued or not. I didn't know they made a pump .357.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
It will smooth out as you use it. Mine took a little use to smooth out while Bodreaux's was smooth right out of the box.

The way things are going I wouldn't wait.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The way things are going I wouldn't wait.
Exactly. I'm not one to make snap decisions, especially on important purchases like this one, but I do want to move fast on this. I will definitely feel more secure once I have it, have practiced with it, and have a lot of rounds stashed somewhere. I never thought I'd be one to think along these lines, but I've always been a believer in being prepared however possible.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Something a little different but I have a M-1 Carbine and Ruger Blackhawk chambered for 30 carbine that does that duty for me

·
Registered
17,609 Posts
I don't know, I've heard both good and bad reactions to it. I'm really considering it, though. I've heard that the newer ones, since they're made in Brazil, the quality control just isn't there. But it's like anything. I know I could get one that's just fine. I'm so on the fence about it. I'm glad to hear one more good review, though, so thanks for that.
my rossi/tarus 38spl levergun is nice. smooth as butter action.. shoots great.. and fun to shoot. no shoulder fatigue.

action is snappy and fast.. i've shot a couple hundred thru it easy. from hollowpoint to ball.. no jambs or hangs

ps.. a 30-30 lever gun may not hld many more rounds or any more than a bolt action setup for the '5' for hunting.. i doubt my 35rem holds more than that..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Yeah, that thing about the .30-.30 not holding as much is something to keep in mind. Thanks.

And yet the Rossi large loop carbine in .45 LC holds 8 + 1. Wouldn't have thought!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, went to Gander Mountain last night, looked at the R92, tried the lever and it was smooth, so I got it. Little disappointed with the fit of the stock, but that really doesn't matter. Picked up some Blazer in each caliber, so I hope it likes it. Would've gotten Hornady but they didn't have any. So next on the list is a .357 revolver that'll eat the ammo the Rossi won't. :D I'm going to spend a little more time on selecting this one, though. Speaking of which, what's the difference between .38 special and .38 S & W special? Difference circumferences?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
no difference. 2 names for the same round

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
you wont be disappointed in the rossi. just remember, as you will likely fire more .38 spec than .357 mag.. Buy a bore snake. The shorter shells in the longer chamber will leave a powder residue ring where the end of the .38 spec case is in the chamber. if you chamber a .357 mag and fire it with that soot in there it can stick and render your rifle useless requiring a cleaning rod be jammed down the barrel to remove it befor eproceeding. swapping ammo from one to the other is fine, just run the bore snake between ammo swaps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
you wont be disappointed in the rossi. just remember, as you will likely fire more .38 spec than .357 mag.. Buy a bore snake. The shorter shells in the longer chamber will leave a powder residue ring where the end of the .38 spec case is in the chamber. if you chamber a .357 mag and fire it with that soot in there it can stick and render your rifle useless requiring a cleaning rod be jammed down the barrel to remove it befor eproceeding. swapping ammo from one to the other is fine, just run the bore snake between ammo swaps.
Crap, and here I bought a cleaning rod because I find them easier to use!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Crap, and here I bought a cleaning rod because I find them easier to use!

You will always find use for a cleaning rod, no worries there.

·
Premium Member
19,189 Posts
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag. My son got me a Marlin Lever in 44 mag for this christmas. Should be a good combo. I like the idea of a rifle pistol combo with the same round.

View attachment 70121

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag. My son got me a Marlin Lever in 44 mag for this christmas. Should be a good combo. I like the idea of a rifle pistol combo with the same round.

View attachment 70121
That Marlin looks really nice. Great Christmas present! I actually would've preferred one over the Rossi, but I got what was available.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts

Josh, My interest in buying a Rossi lever gun in .357 has been quelled recently by customer reviews saying the Rossi isn't what it used to be and reports of numerous FTF issues. Have you experience with the newer ones?.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
No. they are pretty good guns.. Just dont break em. Customer service is as bad and slow as Taurus because they are the same company. And getting parts to repair them is a must go thru them kinda thing..

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Yes, it's just that buying both doesn't appeal to my sense of thriftiness. ;)
Cleanin rod will work fine too. Just takes longer to use.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, that thing about the .30-.30 not holding as much is something to keep in mind. Thanks.

And yet the Rossi large loop carbine in .45 LC holds 8 + 1. Wouldn't have thought!

I like mine, Rossi .45, with a couple of Judges to with it. All fun rigs. Lots of ammo choices in .45 LC. Some is pretty weak. I still don't want to be shot with any of it. I killed two deer with the cheap cowboy action stuff. The carbine is short, light, and easy to get into play. No problems with it thus far. Of course a Judge is a Judge, but I like them anyhow.

21 - 40 of 142 Posts