The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recommend a rifle dedicated for 22CB shorts for squirrel control in the back yard. lower the price the better.Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
A Marlin XT-22TR is a good example. It shoots shorts, longs and LR's. It has a tube mag which will hold 25 shorts. It's very accurate and it costs about $200. I love mine. I've seen old single shot rifles from the 50's that will shoot shorts, longs and LR's. I own one in fact. They used to sell cheap but it seems everyone wants $150 for one now. They're great rifles that will last for generations but I'd rather pay an extra $50 for a new one with a 5 year warranty like the Marlin.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XT22.asp

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use this. Of course it won't cycle a semi-auto but works great in any bolt action. Shoots good out of a revolver too.

"Came back to say that one of the Aguila's is for revolvers only. It is propelled by the primer and has no powder. The report is about like an air rifle. Shoot's a 20gr bullet around 500fps which will take out a squirrel. They also have a sniper 60gr round that is fairly quiet too, but probably not wise to shoot in town as it packs a punch."

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
recommend an older single shot bolt. I have a remington and love it, of course there are bunches of other high quality ones. also, everyone that sees it thinks that it is less threatening than some of the modern rifles. these can be found at LGS for between $100-150 and sometimes at gun shows for a bit less if you don't mnd some minor refinishing work.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Lots of older, single-shot Marlins, Remingtons, Winchesters or Stevens in pawn shops are looking for a new home.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I get rid of the tree rats with a .22 cal. western style six shooter. I use the
.22 lr shot shells. It works good for me.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I have a old Remington 510 set up for the CB rounds. Pretty accurate too!
Hunted with this gun for many years. I miss it, and plan on buying another.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i use a marlin model 781 bolt action tube fed.the marlin is deadly on tree rats.these are only found used and very difficult to find.the thing is to buy either a single shot anything or a bolt that will shoot shorts,longs,or long rifle. the lever henry will also shoot shorts.i have used the cb caps for years and not only are they super quiet but hard hitting on tree rats.they will not be quiet in a pistol. old simperfi

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I used a Win Model 75 with CB longs on tree rats....I hated to sell that rifle but kids come 1st

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
+1 to getting a single-shot bolt gun. Lots of them out there.

FYI, should you find the CB shorts are not doing the job, CCI makes a new "quiet" .22 LR round that packs more punch. It's subsonic and air-gun quiet from a rifle. Good stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
NEF "Sportster".
Its a break action .22LR, that will take the H&R Survivor stocks. Once the stocks are packed with survival gear... its an awesome .22 platform.
I've named mine B.O.B. Jr.
In the process of purchasing a silencer, as a trap-line "kill gun", there are few limits to the utility of this tool.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My first rifle was a Winchester model 57 chambered for the .22 short cartridge. During WW2 that ammo was very scarce, but lots of long rifle. Winchester advised me that my rifle was designed for the 22 short with 1-20 rifling, while .22 LR required 1-16 rifling for best accuracy. I bought another rifle. The 22 short is slightly different from the .22cb short. Lower velocity 22's in my experience don't bother squirrels as much as the loud crack of the .22 high velocity long rifle cartridge. My grandson agrees!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
From the tone of 22 wood's question, I wonder if perhaps he has another question rather than just a rifle recommendation? Perhaps he has read the warning on the box about using them in a rifle ( because they may not exit the barrel ) ? I don't know if that is valid or not. I have read posts where individuals have had that problem and had to push out half a dozen stuck CB bullets. I've only used CB Shorts in two rifles, both with out problems, a old Stevens 15A ( my first rifle, still got it ) and a Marlin 39A. Normal CB Shorts contain no powder, they use the force of the primer for power. CCI makes a CB Long that contains one grain of powder, these might be better for use in a rifle to alleviate the fear of the bullet sticking. The CB Longs are just a little louder. I have never had any problems with either but others with newer and tighter rifle barrels have.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
A Marlin XT-22TR is a good example. It shoots shorts, longs and LR's. It has a tube mag which will hold 25 shorts. It's very accurate and it costs about $200. I love mine. I've seen old single shot rifles from the 50's that will shoot shorts, longs and LR's. I own one in fact. They used to sell cheap but it seems everyone wants $150 for one now. They're great rifles that will last for generations but I'd rather pay an extra $50 for a new one with a 5 year warranty like the Marlin.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XT22.asp
I agree with this.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Heed the warning!!! My sons and I were plinking out back with the CBs and I had to run in to answer the phone. We were using an old single shot .22 with a full lengh barrel. After a few minutes my eldest came in and said he was having a problem hitting anything with the CBs, and they were louder than normal. I fired one round and hit about 4 feet to the left of a target that was only 10 feet out, and it was louder than normal. I looked down the barrel and could see nothing. A ramrod pushed out three CB bullets. When you fired, the end CB would tumble out, and the new one would join the pack in the barrel.
Now we use a youth model gun with a shorter barrel. We also switched over to Super Colibri made by Aquila. I like them better than the CBs. And even better, squirrels hate them, don't know if its the bullet or they have a heart attack, but they die. Super quiet. (My pellet gun is louder).
enjoy
fred

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recommend a rifle dedicated for 22CB shorts for squirrel control in the back yard. lower the price the better.Thanks!
Forget the 22CB shorts. Go with a rifle chambered for 22LR and choose your ammo wisely.

I live very close to "center city" and have to deal be concerned with a "no firearm discharge ordinance" on the books, and really don't want to have this kind of misdemeanor on my record for popping off a couple of rounds. I primarily use a Marlin-Glenfield Model 25 with CCI' segmented subsonic ammo for defense of my bird feeders against tree rats. It's report is about as loud as an pnuematic nailer, and since no more than two shots are made, the neighbors generally don't notice the report. I've used CCI Quiet 22, it's a little quieter than the sub-sonic rounds and as quiet a CB caps, but "not as effective" as the sub-sonic ammo for tree rat duty. I've also used other sub-sonic ammo solid point bullets- and it's not much louder than the "CB cap" in short and long but much more effective.

I've also used a couple of "older" Remington's for tree rat duty. One is a Model 512-X (tube mag) and the other is a Model 580 ( single shot bolt) and use the CCI segment sub-sonic ammo.

I'm at a point where I'll load my Crosman nitro-piston 22 cal pellet rifle which is a solid performer out to 60 feet before I'll chamber the CCI Quiet 22 or CB cap rounds.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts