The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if I happen use any incorrect terminology or for any lack of knowledge regarding the platform. I am new to firearms in general.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15. Completely stock other than a BCM charging handle, and Magpul handguard. Since buying it early last year it’s seen about 400 rounds of Federal brass FMJ, no steel. I clean and oil after every use

Head out to do some plinking a couple weeks ago and about five rounds into the first mag and I’ve got a jam. One of the only malfunctions I’ve ever had with my rifle since purchasing it. There’s a round chambered, the bolt is almost all the way forward but not quite, charging handle won’t pull back, safety selector won’t go to safe. Drop the mag. Mortar the rifle a few times. The jam finally clears. The chambered round is released and is kind of bent. Discard the round. Rifle appears to be back in working order. Put the magazine back in, or try to, wont lock in the mag well. Mess with it, finally locks. Chamber a round, cycles fine for the first several rounds, then another jam. This one not as bad. Drop the mag. Clear the jam. I repeated this process through two magazines. Once again, I’ve never had any issue with this gun prior to that brutal jam.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
41,332 Posts
My very first thought is "Magazine Problem" but you said you tried two different magazines. Second thought is cleanliness, but you said you clean after every firing. Third thought is - have you checked the gas block to see if it is tight!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My very first thought is "Magazine Problem" but you said you tried two different magazines. Second thought is cleanliness, but you said you clean after every firing. Third thought is - have you checked the gas block to see if it is tight!
Thanks for the response. I have not checked the gas block. As I mentioned, I’m pretty new to firearms, so the gas system intimidates me a bit. I suppose now is a good time to learn it.

In addition: I stopped into my local shop and mentioned, or started to mention the issue to them. If I’m being honest they’re not the friendliest, and come across as elitists. Before I’m finished explaining the issue the guy tells me the hammer is riding forward and to bring it in and they’ll look at it. Sounds plausible but I’m not convinced.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
the hammer on my mp15 was following fore ward with a round in chamber when I was doing the now Illegal thumb hole belt loop hold. But it has never jammed as you are saying. I replaced the buffer spring per recommendation of local police officer/city armorer.
Have not had an issues since. I also have a 2 stage Geissle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the hammer on my mp15 was following fore ward with a round in chamber when I was doing the now Illegal thumb hole belt loop hold. But it has never jammed as you are saying. I replaced the buffer spring per recommendation of local police officer/city armorer.
Have not had an issues since. I also have a 2 stage Geissle
Replacing the buffer spring was actually my first thought. My goal with this rifle has always been to replace the entire thing piece by piece until I end up with two rifles, an M&P 15 and a much higher end custom rifle. So maybe I’ll go ahead pick up a new spring as well some other parts. Which Geissle do you have? Happy with it? New trigger was first on my list.

·
Super Moderator
41,332 Posts
Geissele is a great trigger, but for me their higher end ones are way too expensive. I have had one of their low price single stage triggers for years, I just did a search for them and see that they all seem to be high priced now. I just bought two Rise Armament drop in triggers for $89 each.

·
Administrator
12,469 Posts
I have a Rise Armament RA-140 in one of my ARs and I like so well I just bought 2 more just as @gdmoody did. One will go in a LR308 I have and the other will go in a 300 BO AR I am building.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Thanks for the response. I have not checked the gas block. As I mentioned, I’m pretty new to firearms, so the gas system intimidates me a bit. I suppose now is a good time to learn it.

In addition: I stopped into my local shop and mentioned, or started to mention the issue to them. If I’m being honest they’re not the friendliest, and come across as elitists. Before I’m finished explaining the issue the guy tells me the hammer is riding forward and to bring it in and they’ll look at it. Sounds plausible but I’m not convinced.
You need to find another gun shop. I've been into a few like the one you describe - and they never get return business from me.

The round jamming in the chamber sounds like it could be a few things:
1.) Damaged ammo (maybe not if factory Federals...)
2.) Problem with the bolt key (dirty/dry/damaged?)
3.) Problem with the rifle's chamber (carbon fouled? damage or burr?)
4.) Crud in the bolt locking lug recess.

If you're still having problems - if it were mine - send it back to the factory and have it inspected/repaired. FWIW - I had an M1 Carbine that acted exactly like you described a long time ago. I couldn't figure it out. Finally - turned out that a bit of case-mouth from a fired cartridge sheared off and was lodged at the end of the chamber. The next round I tried to chamber would go just so far and get stuck. I'd get the stuck round out but that darn little piece of case mouth stayed where it was. Couldn't see it looking into the chamber - but that was the problem.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
If it's a "new" rifle with 400rds through it-chances are it's not the buffer spring or the gas block(pull off handguard-is it dirty around gas block)(yes,you may have one with a bad spring,but doubtful).I talked to a couple friends that have M&P 15s they bought for fun rifles or loaners-none of them have had a problem-except not enough lube-esp on gas rings-as a matter of fact,they're amazed at how much abuse they take and keep on chugging.
I use POF single stage/Giessele 2 stage/LaRue MBT/RockRiver Varmint.....really like the straight triggers.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
You need to find another gun shop. I've been into a few like the one you describe - and they never get return business from me.
I agree. Go to a different gun shop. Preferably one that has an experienced gunsmith.

Diagnosing a complex problem with a snap answer may sound like knowledge, but unless this particular make of rifle is well known for having a common problem, he is just guessing, and is probably wrong.

Either send it back to the factory, or take it to a good gunsmith.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I can only throw in this - I am new to ARs myself, but got bit by the big BAD. I discovered that the AR barrels I have do NOT like reloads made on Full Length dies. All rounds I load for them have to be Small Base Die sized, or I get exactly what you describe, round stuck almost all the way n and mortared out.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I have no idea how many AR's I've put together to be honest. I've run into a number of problems over the years and yours sounds like it's gas related and the BCG isn't traveling the full length that it's supposed to. If you put a single round in and fire it, does the bolt lock back on the mag follower? Look to make sure it's the bolt face that's catching on it, not the front of the carrier, I had one that would go back far enough that it would catch there. If it's traveling far enough to lock back as it should I'd still look at mags. I use OKAY metal mags and still have a few Pmags in the stack as well.

I load for all of mine using full length dies and never had a problem. Small base dies work your brass more and will shorten it's life, don't use unless you have to.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Well, I have a ton of brass, and full length sized will jam on both Bear Creek barrels and the PSA barrel, 3 out of 3 for me. So SBD for me. :)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Well, I have a ton of brass, and full length sized will jam on both Bear Creek barrels and the PSA barrel, 3 out of 3 for me. So SBD for me. :)
Funny, I've put together 6 Bear Creek 5.56 and .223 Wylde and 4 Anderson, a Spinta Precision and a couple of no-name barrels, they all ran just fine on Lee full length die resized brass.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts